Will this work and if so what parts do i need? (1996 vortec to 2006 gto 4l65e)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a motor out of a 1996 Chevy 2500 4x4 and want to bolt on a leftover 2006 4l65e out of a GTO. I'm trying to figure out what bellhousing to use, and if I will need a different flywheel than what the truck currently has. Truck was connected to a 4l80. Also will the TC from the GTO be fine?

For clarification, All of this will be going into a 1987 GMC S15 and I want it to be 2wd or I'd just use the 80 from the 1996.

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

Reaction score
What plug would the 96 3/4 ton have for the trans wiring? Would it be the all electric that the 2006 GTO trans would accept?

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Assuming a 350 and 6.0 engines. 80s and 60/65s have a different plug across all years you can move pins to the correct connector. 96/97 use the "black box" ecm with very little support you might find someone to flash the ecm with the 65 control tables. If your doing any engine mods you should consider swapping to a 411 ecm.

As far as physical hook up my advice is reverse the instructions for ls swapping but I've never bothered to sort out the details in my head so I can't advice much there. The trans bell housing will bolt up but there is a maze of flex plate, spacer, converter options I don't know off my head. Converter would work but may not be very good for application again not real sure on that detail.

Reaction score
So i should probably just get a junk yard 4l60 from this year truck and move the pins in the plug?