Why is my shop so reluctant to do a 10 bolt to 14 bolt swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Have it shipped to the dealership and I bet they would load it in the back of your pickup. Plenty of ways to skin the cat on this one. While it was out I'd do new axle seals, bearings and brakes.

+1 for the getting the driveshaft as well, keep it simple.

I have large items LTL shipped often, when they won't deliver to my house (I have a loader with forks), I ship them to where my wife works or across the street from my day job office.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have it shipped to the dealership and I bet they would load it in the back of your pickup. Plenty of ways to skin the cat on this one. While it was out I'd do new axle seals, bearings and brakes.

+1 for the getting the driveshaft as well, keep it simple.

I have large items LTL shipped often, when they won't deliver to my house (I have a loader with forks), I ship them to where my wife works or across the street from my day job office.

Haven't thought about that. Maybe they'd do that. Who knows.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I mean why are you swapping axles? Broken, load capacity, ratio etc.

My rear axle tube rusted out (I live in MN). This is the 2nd one to rust out bc the other one rusted out last year. I figured now is the best time to get a sturdier 14 bolt rear axle installed bc I have a bad taste in my mouth for 10 bolts. Others on this forum have complaints of these axles blowing up for no reason, but mine have all rotted away.

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My rear axle tube rusted out (I live in MN). This is the 2nd one to rust out bc the other one rusted out last year. I figured now is the best time to get a sturdier 14 bolt rear axle installed bc I have a bad taste in my mouth for 10 bolts. Others on this forum have complaints of these axles blowing up for no reason, but mine have all rotted away.
My best friend, behind a wire wheel-

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with a Buick/GMC dealer

This is a mistake IMO. Years ago I used to take my trucks to the local GM dealer based on the assumption that the people who made/sold them should know how to work on them. Turns out I was wrong. The dealer will overcharge you at every possible opportunity, and as DEADBEEF mentioned all the techs that knew how to work on these trucks are long retired. The last straw for me was taking my red truck into the dealer service department for a header gasket replacement. They gave me the truck back with the new Gibson exhaust system laying on the frame rattling like hell and told me it was my fault for using aftermarket parts. Funny, everything was fitted up just fine when I dropped the truck off. I paid that oversized bill reluctantly, took my truck to the family friend mechanic the next town over who promptly fixed their mistakes for free, and haven't been back to a dealer since.

Yea, if it was a locally owned shop they might be more willing to do it depending on how busy they are with other jobs.

^ This, 100%. Make friends with a well reputed mom & pop shop if you can. They'll generally be much more flexible with things like customer supplied parts and swaps.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My best friend, behind a wire wheel-

thinking after 2 rusted out rear ends some sort of corrosion protection is well worth the effort. paint or epoxy prime, the cosmoline, there are other rust inhibiting products out there as well. Something is certainly better than nothing to give it a fighting chance at survival.