Why i think it was hit or po backed onto something

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
the 454 dose not play by the same rules that the 350 you can put 350 votec heads on on a tbi or carb block all vortec engines use a roller camshaft tbi dose not most tbi engines that were put in cars did use a roller cam but the trucks did not some of tbi truck block have the provision for the roller cam
there are 3 main 454 tuck engines mark iv 1970-1990 gen v 1991-1995 gen vi 1996-2000 you can swap heads from mark iv to gen vi or the other way around but gen v is not compatible with the other 2
mark iv 2 pc rear main seal provisions for manual transmission gen v 1 pc rear main seal manual transmission provisions droped and whater jeackets changed gen vi 1 pc rear main seal like gen v but water jackets switch back and manual transmission provisions returned

the 350 votec needs a vortec intake 454 can use any intake regardless of year
a 350 vortec would need this plus a tbi adapter https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pfs-52007/make/chevrolet

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most any truck that's existed for 20+ years has some "owies" like that. Most trucks were still used as trucks, for work, when these were newer. I still see a fair amount of 400s every day in greater Houston area, that are "still working", many hauling lawn equipment trailers or a few mowers and weedwackers in the bed.
My biggest concern on things like this, is when some ****** decides to add to them.... Parking lot dings/scrapes, or being backed into because someone doesn't feel the need to pay attention to what they are doing, or "it's just some old junky truck so what does it matter if I bounce my shopping cart off it", etc. Maybe it's not the latest and greatest fancy truck that you're paying $1200! a month for...but it's MY TRUCK and I did not give you permission to mess it up.

I'll second this. My trucks previous owner worked for a remodeling company that went out of business. I never met him/her, but I have their pens in my truck with the company name and phone number on them. My friend's 98 K1500 was a landscape truck all throughout my HS years and it was a farm truck before that. His Mother's extended family are farmers 30 minutes SW of where I live.

I'll also say this. I don't want to get political, but I'm getting more and more irritated by the police in the town south of me. The town I live in is a mix of old money/new money types that boomed in the 70s/80s. Despite the affluent population, there's a (thankfully) old fashioned "Mind your own business and I'll mind my own" attitude here and the police in my town don't get up into your business. The town south of me was a farm town turned suburb that boomed in the 90s/00s. Lots of new money types there and while the general population is actually very kind and pleasant to be around (think of a 2010s/2020s yuppie with a kind grandma attitude) police officers in this town obviously have nothing else to do. I have been followed back to the city line at least 4 times that I've been aware of and probably more than that. It's p***** me off when I see a 2016+ explorer cruiser either slow way down in the lane going the opposite direction to scan me or just pull a U turn and following me for 5-10 minutes for no reason at all. I'm sorry that this town I work in hates poor people, but that doesn't give you an excuse to follow me bc you have nothing better to do.

Last edited:

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll second this. My trucks previous owner worked for a remodeling company that went out of business. I never met him/her, but I have their pens in my truck with the company name and phone number on them. My friend's 98 K1500 was a landscape truck all throughout my HS years and it was a farm truck before that. His Mother's extended family are farmers 30 minutes SW of where I live.

I'll also say this. I don't want to get political, but I'm getting more and more irritated by the police in the town south of me. The town I live in is a mix of old money/new money types that boomed in the 70s/80s. Despite the affluent population, there's a (thankfully) old fashioned "Mind your own business and I'll mind my own" attitude here and the police in my town don't get up into your business. The town south of me was a farm town turned suburb that boomed in the 90s/00s. Lots of new money types there and while the general population is actually very kind and pleasant to be around (think of a 2010s/2020s yuppie with a kind grandma attitude) police officers in this town obviously have nothing else to do. I have been followed back to the city line at least 4 times that I've been aware of and probably more than that. It's p***** me off when I see a 2016+ explorer cruiser either slow way down in the lane going the opposite direction to scan me or just pull a U turn and following me for 5-10 minutes for no reason at all. I'm sorry that this town I work in hates poor people, but that doesn't give you an excuse to follow me bc you have nothing better to do.
There is a flip side here, and somebody else on this site just had a trailer boosted out of their yard by a couple of tweakers. That kind of stuff is happening all over. You're getting profiled. From experience the same cop sees you enough times you're going to get pulled. If your paperwork is in order and there's nothing in the truck that's going to put you in jail you have no worries.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score

We used to live in a SW suburbs of Houston,that was originally small and working class. Then the next two suburbs got more upscale, and grew, and had more tax revenue coming in. So our town decided to go fancy too, and crack down on people who have cars around and work on them. Dad spent way more money than necessary on storage fees for the ones we couldn't put in the building; those ended up getting scrapped and so did the "side yard art". Stuff in the building got sold except for my truck and the car that Mom and I used to daily (till it quit on us). But there's still stuff in there that I'm gradually going through, to see what of it could be sold. I have salvage from the house and an apartment to go through too, so it's taking a while to do all this (and the heat doesn't help!).
So while our town is getting after us, for a while the guy across the street was running a shop out of his house, welding after midnight and stuff like that. They got rid of him(or he moved, not sure), then a couple tenants later is a guy with several trucks, rebuilding square body trucks with a homemade A frame for swapping cabs and engines! All in the driveway in full view of everyone! Our stuff was behind a fence and any repairs we could do in the building, we did.
And the "profiling" thing, yeah we've been through that too. Especially with the Burb's cause some jerk weeds use them for nefarious purposes. Some of it is just the cops being bored and some of it is "just because they can"....
If we get done this way, just for being in an "old vehicle" as white people, it's easy to see why the minorities get upset with it, when it happens to them so much more(and often with people getting injured or killed).

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here in South Florida, my '94 is more expensive to insure than a '04 or '14 just because every roofer's helper, landscaper, and rough carpenter drives one with a beer in his lap. My avatar red truck, before wrecked, got a free pass because everyone thought it was Fire Department. My current white truck gets the hairy eyeball sometimes but fits the common local profile of 'Redneck Rich Kid' because 4x4 and 18" wheels. <shrug> it is what it is.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
95 is the worst year it is not compatible with any other
Big yikes. Nothing wrong with the 95s, IMO. There is tons compatible. Sure you can see where GM was gearing up for the change to vortec but it’s just fine.

@k1500 97 I’ve got the extract truck you want minus the 454.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
yeah I may have layed it on a bit too thick about the 95s being the worst but from what I understand 95 electronics for the engines and transmissions are 95 only not compatible with other years
I know the some of the interior peices are compatible. But the guage cluster and the ac control module do not. Correct me if im wrong cause 95 is the only year they had the red line on the tach in the new interior design.