Wheel hitting bumper - will new torsion key fix it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
1. this is not a high lift torsion key, this is the one that came from the factory. 2. the ball joint is about 5 months old, and the truck has been driven for about 20 miles on it, since the aforementioned torsion bolt adjustment. I guess I could have been a little more clear on that, I don't believe the two issues are related, I just happened to be poking around down there and noticed that the boot was sort of smashed up or hiked up, whatever you want to call it, as depicted in the picture I posted, so I asked a separate question about that, in a different thread. Newbie that I am, I don't believe that 20 miles of driving since tightening the stock torsion key, would have damaged a new ball joint boot, although I could be wrong.

1. As previously stated, stock keys will lift the truck to the down stops. You can't crank any higher than that no matter the key without cutting the stops off the frame.

2. While it is said cranking shortens bj and tie rod life span, a MILD crank isn't a death sentence for them. I've had a 1-1.5" crank since 2011 and since then replaced one lower that stopped taking grease, and 2 uppers that didn't need it because the alignment guy said so. It sounds like you're wanting more than that though and that will tear stuff up.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have we seen any pics of this truck? How high is it lifted? What BJ's were on there, junk from an ebay front end kit, or low tier moogs? Or were they good ones? Consensus seems the Mevotech TTX line is about the best you can get.

1. As previously stated, stock keys will lift the truck to the down stops. You can't crank any higher than that no matter the key without cutting the stops off the frame.

2. While it is said cranking shortens bj and tie rod life span, a MILD crank isn't a death sentence for them. I've had a 1-1.5" crank since 2011 and since then replaced one lower that stopped taking grease, and 2 uppers that didn't need it because the alignment guy said so. It sounds like you're wanting more than that though and that will tear stuff up.

That has been my experience as well.

Any more crank than basically levelling the front with the rear and you are into "get a real lift" territory.

TommyJ1980

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Honestly, at this point all I want is a fairly reliable truck that drives well, that has tires that don't hit the bumper when I turn. I have done so much work to this thing since I bought it, hopefully now stuff stops breaking for a minute. :D