Wheel hitting bumper - will new torsion key fix it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Just cranking the torsion screw is enough to justify another full ($300) alignment??

Which is why it's strange that a shop manager would have you do such a thing without mentioning that isn't it? I'm not sure how far you cranked, but you're going to be to be toed in, have more negative camber, and less positive caster than before you cranked. To what extent you can't know without throwing it back on the rack.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I turned the torsion key bolt to lift it some, back when I was doing some work to the front suspension
This is the answer to the question of the upper ball joint in your other thread. When cranked you can expect to replace components on a regular/annual basis. In you other thread it also looks like you have something else slinging grease all over under there, like maybe a cv axle.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
I had waited to reply in anticipation one of you with more knowledge would address this first. I know enough to understand it would need to go back on the rack but not the proper terms for effects on wheel alignment.

TommyJ1980

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is the answer to the question of the upper ball joint in your other thread. When cranked you can expect to replace components on a regular/annual basis. In you other thread it also looks like you have something else slinging grease all over under there, like maybe a cv axle.
I just put it in though? It’s new, why would the boot be all hiked up like that? I can’t tell if it’s still ok or not.

TommyJ1980

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I guess I’m just wondering if it needs to be replaced again due to me overfilling the boot with grease prior to installation. I’m finding these parts to be total dog sh***. I guess I just need to commit to buying the best quality parts to even be able to expect a reasonable service life? Lotsa lessons learned here. That’s fine though, I’m decent with a wrench.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
I guess I’m just wondering if it needs to be replaced again due to me overfilling the boot with grease prior to installation. I’m finding these parts to be total dog sh***. I guess I just need to commit to buying the best quality parts to even be able to expect a reasonable service life? Lotsa lessons learned here. That’s fine though, I’m decent with a wrench.
Grease it (and other greasable joints) as part of regular maintenance and check for wear in the joint. Once worn to end of service life, remove and replace with new.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just put it in though? It’s new, why would the boot be all hiked up like that? I can’t tell if it’s still ok or not.
when you cranked it you changed all the angles at which stuff operates outside to what the factory intended. If it's past the limits it could be pulling the boot off, binding the ball joint, etc. The best ball joint there is, is not going to solve the problem. I'm not sure what you're not understanding. You cranked the truck and has been said you can ruin all the ball joints by doing that, and I have said cranking turns ball joint replacements into a regular maintenance along with cv boots. There are 100's of threads on this site about the ill effects of hi-lift torsion keys, and cranking one up with or without them.
A service manager is not necessarily a high level technician or a high level tech doesn't not always make for a good manager. You got ill advice.

Last edited:

TommyJ1980

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
when you cranked it you changed all the angles at which stuff operates outside to what the factory intended. If it's past the limits it could be pulling the boot off, binding the ball joint, etc. The best ball joint there is, is not going to solve the problem. I'm not sure what you're not understanding. You cranked the truck and has been said you can ruin all the ball joints by doing that, and I have said cranking turns ball joint replacements into a regular maintenance along with cv boots. There are 100's of threads on this site about the ill effects of hi-lift torsion keys, and cranking one up with or without them.
A service manager is not necessarily a high level technician or a high level tech doesn't not always make for a good manager. You got ill advice.
1. this is not a high lift torsion key, this is the one that came from the factory. 2. the ball joint is about 5 months old, and the truck has been driven for about 20 miles on it, since the aforementioned torsion bolt adjustment. I guess I could have been a little more clear on that, I don't believe the two issues are related, I just happened to be poking around down there and noticed that the boot was sort of smashed up or hiked up, whatever you want to call it, as depicted in the picture I posted, so I asked a separate question about that, in a different thread. Newbie that I am, I don't believe that 20 miles of driving since tightening the stock torsion key, would have damaged a new ball joint boot, although I could be wrong.