Why are there two different length parking brake cables?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, it seems there are two different FRONT parking brake cables... but they are BOTH for a Regular Cab Short Bed.

Let me explain further. I was ordering a full set of cables from Rock Auto, and their site has a filter for things like front, rear, left, right... you all know this I'm sure.

What surprised me was that I ordered a ~61" cable for the FRONT, and it's obviously about 8 inches too long. There's no adjusting that out. I get back on Rock Auto and it turns out there's a 61" and a ~54" cable, both for an RCSB. If the cab and bed are the same length, why the difference in cable length?

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Straight out of the front driver side corner, around the cab mount, and down the outside of the frame. Doesn't even come near the driveline.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I can tell, RockAuto's descriptions come from the suppliers, and the suppliers aren't always the most competent.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
From what I can tell, RockAuto's descriptions come from the suppliers, and the suppliers aren't always the most competent.
Exactly! The same is true of B/T's upper shock mount relocators.
Every description of them on almost every secondary seller's site is the same description as the lower shock mount extenders. Word for word. For parts that have a totally different purpose.
The few that do have a properly correct description seem to be by Co.'s that have taken the time to actually look at the part & figure it out because just maybe they actually do own 400's, or they've listened to the customers that have pointed out that the B/T-supplied blurb is more than likely a secretarial screw-up.