Need help getting an entire parking brake cable setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88sclb350

Reaction score
Did a brake job on my 88 k1500. New everything besides cable. Well took it for a test drive today got back and my driver side drum was smoking when I got back.

I heavily am leaning on bad cable because it’s rusted to hell and never used and for some stupid reason after doing my brakes and I tested the parking brake and it worked. However I’m guesssing the cable pulled but never released.

I really hope I didn’t **** my new shoes and drum.

I need a parking brake cable set that goes from parking brake to each drum. When on rock auto I only see driver or passenger cables and it doesn’t seem like I can find cable for an entire replacement.

Das Hatt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is one cable that runs along the outside of the frame from the front to the back of the cab. Then there is an equalizer that combines two cables, one for each rear parking brake.

So on rockauto you should see 'front' 'driver side' and 'passenger side'. Depending on how bad the rust is, you will probably need a new equalizer also. That is what really rusted bad on mine.

You'll want to measure each cable to get the right length. Depending on cab and bed size.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. Three cables, connected with lil' metal bits. Had to replace the whole works on my '97. Still struggling to get the front cable, from the pedal assembly to somewhere under the driver's seat, installed.

The O'Reillys replacement cables are less optimum than the OEM cables. I suspect the aftermarket cables are made by one company, and repackaged for O'Reillys, AutoZone, NAPA, Advance, and everyone else selling them. Maybe I'm wrong.

NYDeer

Reaction score
Ahhh.... thanks for sharing about cable lengths, will be doing some measurements myself.

I am trying to dial in the parking brake on this '97. The stuff I am finding, the former owner had to be a crayon eater.
Former owner ran new cables from the drums, parallel to the old ones still installed tho detatched from the rear drum. Then zip tied new cables to the old cables up front, because the new cables were too short.