Parking brake cable help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ctvaughn

Reaction score
So I have a 14 bolt axle swapped into my 1990 K1500 rcsb and have put all new parts in the 11” drums. I cannot for the life of me get the rear cable to reach the front cable and connector. I got some brakeware cables from Autozone and they are about 5 inches too short of reaching the front. Anyone have any ideas? Putting these brakes together has been a serious pain in the ass…

Attachments

• IMG_6002.jpeg
    IMG_6002.jpeg
    482.5 KB · Views: 17

ctvaughn

Reaction score
So, first thing, you need to make sure you bought the correct part number.
It matches up as being for my truck on the website so I really hope they didn’t just hand me the wrong bags off the shelf or something. Maybe I’ll buy another and see if it ends up being the same length and return it after.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHICH cable(s) have you replaced? LR? RR? Front? ALL of them?

Were the original cables seized? Can you save the adjuster and the piece that connects to the front cable?

ctvaughn

Reaction score
WHICH cable(s) have you replaced? LR? RR? Front? ALL of them?

Were the original cables seized? Can you save the adjuster and the piece that connects to the front cable?
I’ve replaced both rear cables and equalizer as they were beyond ruined. Still have the factory front cable but with a new connector.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the old ones that I just took off my 14 bolt, plus new ac delco ones in the box I could measure tomorrow evening if that will help.

ctvaughn

Reaction score
I have the old ones that I just took off my 14 bolt, plus new ac delco ones in the box I could measure tomorrow evening if that will help.
If they are for a regular cab short bed truck that’d be real helpful. I’ll have to remeasure mine later today.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greetings ctvaughn,

Welcome to the GMT400 forum!

For what it's worth, last summer I also went through the task of replacing the rear
parking brake cables. Unfortunately my vehicle isn't an exact match of yours
('99 RCLB C2500) so I can't give you the specific part numbers you need.

However, what I can tell you is that you need to know your specific wheelbase for
your '90 K1500 RCSB *and* the GVWR of your original machine. But you aren't
necessarily out of the woods quite yet, for IF the rear axle you swapped in was for
a different (heavier) GVWR, then you need to look up your truck sold in that heavier
payload (K2500?) get those part numbers, compare the specs between the 2 sets...and
if one set has the missing 5" then that's what you want to purchase.

To give you an idea of how I got the right parts on the first try, here's a link to something
I posted in my 'functional resto' thread on my chore truck.
(AC/Delco parking brake part #s for '99 C2500 RCLB 8600 GVWR truck)

Disclaimer: All of the above is just general info, and I'm assuming that A) you swapped
in a 14-bolt to replace a 10-bolt, and B) that this would make a difference in the cables
required. If either assumption is wrong, then please disregard & accept my apologies. :0)

EDIT: And if anyone reading this performed a similar swap and has the specific info that
ctvaughn needs for the parking brake cables that fit, then by all means share the wealth.

Hope this helps you get this over the finish line. And when you figure out what works,
then please reply back with the specifics, so that others facing a similar snafu can benefit
from what you have learned.

Best of luck! Cheers --

Last edited:

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yep, good luck with this one. My ccsb body style was not listed as an option and ended up being a mishmash of e-brake cables. Long bed rears with an extra cab front if I remember correctly. Measuring is key. The parts info doesn't always have consistent measurement info though from one supplier to the next... and of course no one is going to unseal the bag to check for you.