Whoops

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my wife's 2015 Escape Titanium was ~$7500 for a little front end damage a couple years ago. At least it wasn't her fault. We're (or our lawyer is) still arguing with our insurance for Under Insured motorist who only had $25,000 medical. Their insurance, Progressive paid that in a heartbeat.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A dashcam is the best investment you can make after insurance. It takes away the he said/ she said arguments and cuts straight to the facts.
Yep. And dont tell them you have a dash cam either.
Wait untill they get done lying to the cops and show the cop the cam footage.
He will write them tickets faster than a truck stop waitress.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It helps if it's early morning, you're 6' tall, scowling, and wearing a military uniform. When I got hit I got out of my car, the guy looked at me, and I saw his knees buckle. He immediately owned up, which was good, because I had the video footage of the light turning red, me stopping, then the thump and me cursing.

I have an old Viofo, and I can't recommend it. One of the selling points for it was that it didn't have a battery, and at the time battery life and replacement was a real issue with dash cams. The downside is that it loses its settings all the time.

Newer cams can bluetooth to your phone, and I'd recommend that. If I want to get video off my dashcam I have to bring it in to the house and plug it into my computer with a mini-USB cable.

Video quality matters. Mine has pretty good resolution, but the conditions have to be perfect for it to get a readable shot of a license plate. The minimum resolution you want is 1080p. 4k (2160p) is what I'd recommend.

I'd highly recommend front and rear cameras. As I said above, you could see the red light, me stopping, and then the thump. The other car is never pictured in the video. Half of the stuff you'll want to get on video will happen out of sight of a front-facing camera.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And, in my opinion. You have to be either so cracked out of your mind or weak as hell to spend 70 or 80 grand on a truck.
They are just hillbilly mercedes and in ten years tops they will be falling apart and expensive as hell to repair and worth about 20 percent of what you paid for them if, if ,if you can find a market to sell them.
All of those big money trucks will be just as worthless as a big money ten year old mercedes is.
20 percent if you are lucky.
I never buy the trucks with all the bells and whistles, their values drop like a rock, I stick to plain jane no frills work truck, drive and tow the hell out shyt and usually recover a decent amount when I get rid of them. This particular 2019 truck msrp was 28k and some change, I bought it on Dec 30 2019 when they couldn't get if off the lot fast enough before becoming a year old leftover and taxed as inventory for 21.5k out the door tax, Tags, etc. He told me the buy back was 11k and I told him no and and he asked for my bank info so he could wire me $21,953 after they took my $500 deductible out. 3 years and 60k wirth of abusive miles later. Somebody will buy it at the insurance aution and cobble up the radiator support enough to bolt the headlights and grill back in and to put it on a used car lot for 18 k or so. The adjuster was also surprised the seat belt tensioners deployed but the bags didn't. Maybe time to look at a new or newerish econobox and dig up the 400 and do some much needed things or find a 2500.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I never buy the trucks with all the bells and whistles, their values drop like a rock, I stick to plain jane no frills work truck, drive and tow the hell out shyt and usually recover a decent amount when I get rid of them. This particular 2019 truck msrp was 28k and some change, I bought it on Dec 30 2019 when they couldn't get if off the lot fast enough before becoming a year old leftover and taxed as inventory for 21.5k out the door tax, Tags, etc. He told me the buy back was 11k and I told him no and and he asked for my bank info so he could wire me $21,953 after they took my $500 deductible out. 3 years and 60k wirth of abusive miles later. Somebody will buy it at the insurance aution and cobble up the radiator support enough to bolt the headlights and grill back in and to put it on a used car lot for 18 k or so. The adjuster was also surprised the seat belt tensioners deployed but the bags didn't. Maybe time to look at a new or newerish econobox and dig up the 400 and do some much needed things or find a 2500.
Yer gonna love this story.
I have an in law relative who spent 78k on a 2019 Ram 3500.
It developed a pretty severe oil leak.
About a quart per day.
This guy is a stone mason.
For two years, he used the same funnel to pour powdered stone dust into his grout mixture, and to put oil in his truck.
When I finally saw this in action I tried to explain to him that he needed to use a clean funnel.
He told me..
"Its Okay, the oil washes the dust off of the funnel when I pour it in"
And it does.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yer gonna love this story.
I have an in law relative who spent 78k on a 2019 Ram 3500.
It developed a pretty severe oil leak.
About a quart per day.
This guy is a stone mason.
For two years, he used the same funnel to pour powdered stone dust into his grout mixture, and to put oil in his truck.
When I finally saw this in action I tried to explain to him that he needed to use a clean funnel.
He told me..
"Its Okay, the oil washes the dust off of the funnel when I pour it in"
And it does.
So many people go through life without a second thought as to why they do the things they do.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I married into this mess.
He used to have a 97 F250.
They have a problem where the bearings in the steering column break apart and it locks the steering wheel.
He didnt understand that he had to remove the locknut from the steering wheel.
This is an extendad cab truck.
He pulled both back windows out of the truck and stuck a 4x4 through the cab and took the trailer winch off of his boat and wrapped it around the steering and cranked on it untill the doors wouldnt open anymore.
About 6 months later he had figurred out how to pull the steering wheel but he had also unbolted the seats.
But he had to move the truck.
So he gets in and me and his dad are pushing the truck backwards down this hill and he hit the brakes and the steering wheel came off and the front seat flipped over and the only thing we could see was him laying on his back steering wheel totally loose and in hand rolling down the hilll.
That, and the freak out kinda EEEEHEEWee...noise was pretty funny.
He is just that type of guy who calls you up when he doesnt know what he is doing and asks your advice and tells you that you are wrong.
Those folks are dumb ***** who are thinking about sticking a tongue in a light socket and they think you are stupid.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So many people go through life without a second thought as to why they do the things they do.
And they ask you what to do, but only becuase they are so set in there mind that anything else is seen as as an insult.
People like that do not want your help.
That is not what they are after.
They are looking for any excuse to be insulted in order to prove to themselves once again that they are right and that gives them free reighn to be *******.
Some dumb ***** was just twerking at at a NAZI death camp for ***** sake.
And how is it that cheating loon is a part of our government.
Do you understand that the governer of Florida is in a ******* battle with ****** Disneyland.
The best quote ive seen lately is the "Sunshine Reiche"
Biden is weak because he is old and nobody wants Kamilla. She isnt even close to being able to do the job.
Trump is just a clown show.
Desantis is dangeriuos to our democrocy.
He is a strange spooky little putin type of person.
Can we possibly find someone other than these people.
I would run for president if I didnt have a background of smoking weed and several ex wives and not returning that vhs copy of Tin Men" to Blockbuster.
I also got a ticket for following to close at a state park boat launch in a 15 mph speed zone.
Anyone who wants to be in charge of your life is a weak and feeble ****** who is only doing it to compensate for thier weakness

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I married into this mess.
He used to have a 97 F250.
They have a problem where the bearings in the steering column break apart and it locks the steering wheel.
He didnt understand that he had to remove the locknut from the steering wheel.
This is an extendad cab truck.
He pulled both back windows out of the truck and stuck a 4x4 through the cab and took the trailer winch off of his boat and wrapped it around the steering and cranked on it untill the doors wouldnt open anymore.
About 6 months later he had figurred out how to pull the steering wheel but he had also unbolted the seats.
But he had to move the truck.
So he gets in and me and his dad are pushing the truck backwards down this hill and he hit the brakes and the steering wheel came off and the front seat flipped over and the only thing we could see was him laying on his back steering wheel totally loose and in hand rolling down the hilll.
That, and the freak out kinda EEEEHEEWee...noise was pretty funny.
He is just that type of guy who calls you up when he doesnt know what he is doing and asks your advice and tells you that you are wrong.
Those folks are dumb ***** who are thinking about sticking a tongue in a light socket and they think you are stupid.
I would have loved to have been there to see that. I have watched people to do some really stupid stuff that was clearly going to fail and the first thing they say, once they've picked themselves back up, is why didn't you stop me and I always reply well why didn't you stop yourself, I'm not your mother.