Which Pads?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on, really? Cheap parts store junk? Based on what evidence?
I was too until I saw that the EBC Yellowstuff pads have an EE friction code. In other words you're paying a ton of money for a pad that's no more aggressive than most cheap parts store junk. There's pics to prove it and more explanation in that thread I linked earlier. Free is cool, but I wouldn't pay retail for them.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Come on, really? Cheap parts store junk? Based on what evidence?

This evidence.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I took that picture, it's of the EBC YellowStuff DP41273R for these trucks. As you can see, EE friction code. When I discovered that I returned them. Unless things have changed recently that Summit description is definitely not accurate for all models of YellowStuff pads.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took that picture, it's of the EBC YellowStuff DP41273R for these trucks. As you can see, EE friction code. When I discovered that I returned them. Unless things have changed recently that Summit description is definitely not accurate for all models of YellowStuff pads.
So I just spoke with Summit and EBC and they are telling me current rating is EF! Not sure if you’ve heard of that, but that’s what they both said. But again thanks for that, they are free to me and I can choose anyone I want. Maybe I’ll order the OrangeStuff which are GG but can only get them for my son’s Tacoma. What are your thoughts on EF rating? I’m m in no rush, my brakes are currently in great shape. OP I hope this is all helping you as well!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on EF rating?

Still not very good IMO.

Basically the letter code indicates the coefficient of friction of the pad material. The higher the letter, the more aggressive the material, therefore the faster they'll stop you. The first of the two letters indicates the coefficient of friction when the pads/shoes are cold, and the second when they're hot. So the EFs would have slightly more stopping power when hot than an EE.

Here's an article that explains it a little more in-depth.

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/disc-brake-pad-friction-codes-explained/

bigfutz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I guess DuraLast from AutoZone are not an option? About to change brakes for first time on my new-to-me 95 Tahoe. (Disclaimer: I have no idea what I’m doing.)