Which Pads?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOWHNT

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven’t bought brake pads in a few years. What pads offer the best stopping power? I don’t care how fast they wear since I don’t put many miles on my Suburban but when I do I’m usually loaded down and need the most stopping power I can get.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought "NAPA Ceramic" pads twenty years ago, and HATED them. I assume Ceramic pads are better now. Poor stopping power, wore like iron.

The last few brake jobs I've done, I bought Performance Friction "Carbon Metallic" pads. Made in USA, not much more expensive that the so-called "premium" junk sold at the chain stores, but made in China or India.

Take your calipers apart, clean-out the scuzz on the piston and in the bore, and the crust on the square-cut seal. The actual dust seal and square-cut seal can often be re-used after cleaning.

Don't forget how much braking the rear axle does; make sure the rear brakes are in good condition, and with a brake hose that still flows well. I've seen rear brake hoses (seems more common than front brake hoses) that will flow enough fluid to bleed, but don't really "work" the wheel cylinders very well. Replacement of the hose can make a big difference.

And for ****'s sake, clean the master cylinder reservoir, then bleed the ABS unit the right way, with a scan tool and three times as much fluid as you'd expect. The good news is that your entire brake fluid capacity should be flushed, with fresh, clean brake fluid replacing the wet stuff in the truck now.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The most aggressive pads I've been able to find are Raybestos EHT369H. I run them on both of my '97s, one C1500 with JB5 brakes and one K1500 with JB6. They have a DOT friction code of GG. I'm very happy with them so far. I believe PowerStop also makes a set of GG code pads for these trucks. More discussion on the subject here:

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/ebc-yellowstuff-brake-pads-worth-it.47903/

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EBC brakes have been real hit-or-miss among crapcan racers. I'm hoping their quality has improved.

Personally, I'm a fan of Raybestos. I've run their service-grade ceramics with good success, but next time I'll step up to the Raybestos Element 3s df2x4 recommended. At $29 they're a steal. The matching Element 3 rotors (p/n 580438FZN) are $36 each.

Don't make the mistake of thinking the EBCs are worth an extra $170 over the Raybestos because they advertise them as being "Performance + Race".

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EBC brakes have been real hit-or-miss among crapcan racers. I'm hoping their quality has improved.

Personally, I'm a fan of Raybestos. I've run their service-grade ceramics with good success, but next time I'll step up to the Raybestos Element 3s df2x4 recommended. At $29 they're a steal. The matching Element 3 rotors (p/n 580438FZN) are $36 each.

Don't make the mistake of thinking the EBCs are worth an extra $170 over the Raybestos because they advertise them as being "Performance + Race".
Getting them for free means I didn’t pay the extra $170.00.

Vanishing Point

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I prefer Bendix Fleet Metlok Semi-Metallic, MKD370FM both Quiet, Long-lasting, almost dust-free, and cost-effective for my 1996 C2500 P/U vehicle JB7 brake setup; of course, you may have different results and preferences, so good luck with your choices.

You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’m confident in the quality of them.

I was too until I saw that the EBC Yellowstuff pads have an EE friction code. In other words you're paying a ton of money for a pad that's no more aggressive than most cheap parts store junk. There's pics to prove it and more explanation in that thread I linked earlier. Free is cool, but I wouldn't pay retail for them.