When my GMT400 isn't enough...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to pay to play in the big diesel game.

Being someone who recently swapped a L29 7.4 Vortec into a ‘95 pickup, I can tell you that the L29 Vortec was a significant improvement over the ‘95 TBI L19. You’d definitely be more happy with it, and an 8.1L you’d like even better. If you don’t want to pay the entrance fee to the diesel game maybe just keep your eyes out for a L29 or 8.1L burb.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The problem that you might run into is finding a truck with the 8.1 with low miles, for less than $10,000. Low miles... 115k is low miles. Diesel is awesome in the mountains. Sadly, the $15,000 to get started is just the entrance fee.

I'd keep the 454 if it were me. Be aware when driving it - at the foot of the mountain, put YOUR foot into it so that it drops into 2nd. Lots of rpms going up. Stay ahead of it. 385 ft lbs of tq is not bad. Many tow campers through the mountains with less.

bugdewde

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Low compression on the '95 ? How about a supercharger?

I also have a '95 2500 454 'Burb that I kinda like a lot.
I'd love more towing power, though.
It tows my 2100# Miata rallycar & 20' trailer well in the East Tennessee hills, but I want more!!!!
I can't imagine throwing 10k lbs behind it. Yuck!
I would be opposed to bumping compression by putting flat or domed pistols in, but I wouldn't be opposed to doing some "bolt-on" adders without having to do a tear down.

My buddy's '16 GMC 3500 Duramax is a complete BEAST!!!! Tows like there's nothing behind it. But it came with a hell of a BEASTY price tag.

Sparkysikes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Diesel all the way! Buddies 02? Excursion with 7.3 power smoke towed 17,500 (illegally) and pulled like a freight train. And empty on freeway we got well over 20 mpg.

Diesel is higher compression and a turbo to help elevation changes. The 6.5 turbo diesel is a relative turd compared to newer direct injected common rail diesels.

But I love my 6.5 for daily work use. I was towing 7k with my truck being 9200 (tools and supplies in bed) and I averaged 11.2 mpg and maintained freeway speeds mostly. I feathered on the steeper grades to 45 mph but no smoke and lower egt.

But a 6.0 and a turbo however!!! I think I might just have to ditch my 6.5 for that beast

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'd think for the cost of converting to a 5.9 Cummins - engine, all conversion parts, labor, incidentals - you could buy a good used Vortec 7.4 Suburban and it just be a cash transaction instead of cash plus blood sweat time and tears. As stated the Vortec 7.4 is significantly stronger than the TBI 7.4. Very noticeable difference.

Gotta keep in mind OP's budgetary restraints.

Richard

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
If you were towing short distances I would say HT502 all day. Since your wanting to go cross country I suggest cummins swap or trade off for an 8.1/modern diesel. The HT502 would be a good choice but I would hate to cover that fuel bill for a long trip. Plus its $6k. Cummins swap could probably be done for less than that.

Sparkysikes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A cummins could tow that trailer. And still get you high teens and maybe 25 to 30mpg empty. And no 454 can hang with a cummins towing. The thing about a cummins is turn a knob and turn up the power. Daily reliable 500HP and 1000TQ. Can you say that with gas. (besides laughing gas) but you gotta pay to play. Realistic is 300 to 350 horse and 700tq all stock components. Just change a spring set in regulator. And that with a 3" downpipe and 4" exhaust and she'd be happy.

Down side cummins are loud and proud. There may be no exhaust note but she'll clatter like a tractor. So buy stock in dyno mat lol

scottydl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man you guys are awesome. Agreed that towing an RV trailer (a.k.a. a giant sail with wheels) is a different animal than any kind of flat or open load that weighs just as much or more. Diesel would be great but probably not in the cards financially. With 115k miles on mine (pretty low as pointed out) it still has plenty of life left, whether for me or a future owner. An 8.1L Burb might be the next best option. I generally spend a minimum of 6 months researching and waiting for the perfect situation before buying any high dollar items. Now might be a good time to begin a casual search for a NBS Suburban 2500 just to see what I come across.