When my GMT400 isn't enough...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Big difference at sea level and flattish country compared to altitude and long climbs on two lane curvy highways.

With a 10k trailer a Vortec 7.4 is minimum in the Rockies. The 6.0's in the GMT 800's/900's do ok in this country towing 10k or less. The 8.1's are rare and parts prices are pretty rarefied too. At that point a TD is about the same option. One of the best arguments for a TD around here is the turbo makes it's own atmosphere and doesn't care too much about altitude. But as Andy396 said you really do have to pay to play with the TD's.

I have a 05 Silverado 2500 TD, and my neighbor, who ranches, gets a new Dodge TD every 5-6 years. In other words he's owned about every era of Cummins TD since they appeared almost 30 years ago. I have pulled 6 horses or a load of cattle in a 36 ft gooseneck with his Dodges at least a couple times a year, probably weighing roughly 15k, pull a 10k trailer with my 2500, and best mileage in all those trucks is mid to low teens at altitudes ranging from 6k to 11k ft. And that's on pavement. Wait 'till you get on gravel roads.......

scottydl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In all honesty I'd rather build a vortec 7.4

Okay... so what would be involved with this? Parts, time, cost-wise... estimated of course. Downside for me is I would not be doing any engine building myself. Beyond my level of mechanical knowledge, tool ownership, and available time.

Reaction score
I installed the cummins for reliability on the long hauls (plus some umph is needed to economically move 7000#s of good lookin truck plus a family and gear across the country)
because I knew I would be keeping this beast forever I am rebuilding/ restoring it with that in mind. No shortcuts taken and thinking of future maintenance requirements during the build.$7000 in (around $3500 for just the cummins and swap stuff) and I have an almost brand new/better than new truck that i know inside and out...Those old 12 valves are known for their longevity and overbuilt construction. It can pull anything I would need to move and it will get decent mpg as well...plus, it's cool man

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay... so what would be involved with this? Parts, time, cost-wise... estimated of course. Downside for me is I would not be doing any engine building myself. Beyond my level of mechanical knowledge, tool ownership, and available time.
Find a Treasure Yard Vortec 7.4 vehicle. Grab engine, transmission, computer and harness.

Remove your engine and transmission, install Treasure yard parts. Remove your ECM and harness, install Treasure Yard parts.

There's probably more to it than just that--I have no idea how the instrument cluster, ABS, TPMS, and cruise control will appreciate being switched from one ECM to another.

If you can't do this yourself, you might as well pass. Paying a shop to configure all this stuff will cost arms and legs, and if it doesn't run "PERFECTLY" you're going to see a decrease in the resale value because it's a FrankenTruck.

I still say that if you're towing a bigass trailer, you might as well get an '05--'06 Duramax and be done with it. Everything else that involves modifying the 454 or slapping in a 502 or Cummins or whatever is going to be a tuning nightmare with zippity-doo-dah for resale value.

seth9199

Reaction score
Depends how built you wanna go whaf kind of power numbers you thinking?

Because some cheaper mods would be high flow exause and a k&n intake as well as some high flow injectors and a better fuel pump and a better cam if u still need more

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you do get something with the 8.1 - I think that I read that only the trucks got the 5 speed allison trans. The others might have the same 4l80e that you have now. Not sure if that makes a difference to you or not.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Shurkey pretty much said laid out the options....and consequences.

Reaction score
"Cummins or whatever is going to be a tuning nightmare with zippity-doo-dah for resale value."

Going to have to disagree with that statement... I went the mechanical diesel route specifically to avoid tuning issues.3 wires + a trans controller and you're rolling.
as for resale, a clean 94 2500 burban with a 94 5.9 went for $15k on Craigslist awhile back(I spoke to him before and after he sold it.he gave me some tips on the swap as well.cool guy, I actually told him about this here forum and my build.sup if you ever made it here Tim) If I sold mine for that I'd be almost doubling my money.