What's Worth Keeping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chubbusket

Reaction score
This question doesn't really fit nicely under any category but I want to know what's worth keeping from a truck I plan on scrapping? The truck I am getting rid of is a 1995 k2500 HD since the frame rusted through and broke. My current truck is a 1997 k2500HD. At a minimum I plan on pulling the 5.7L (the exhaust manifolds are very rusty - should I just cut them off?) the 4L80E, and the 4.11 rear. Are there any other parts on these things that break frequently and are hard to find? My local junkyard doesn't have too much left anymore.

chubbusket

Reaction score
Lower control arms? Or that's also rusted through?
Didn't think of that - thanks for the suggestion. I think the LCAs on this one are stamped, though, and the ones in my current truck are forged. I believe the forged ones are supposed to be better.

Canadian Rust Bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
-Any interior trim that's in decent shape would be worth keeping, even if the colour is wrong for your '97.

-The steering gear, as a working spare

-I don't know much about the k2500 but my c1500 spindle knuckles are a little tricky to find. I assume yours are the same.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steering knuckles, rotors and calipers--I'd keep the entire front suspension/steering/braking system.

You didn't mention the transfer case, but I suppose that goes along with the transmission.

ABS box if it still works.

Receiver hitch if it has one.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe drive shaft and if core support is any good.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
The spring steel is in demand for blacksmiths if you can find any around you to sell to.

Otherwise Keep the doors for the glass and other components, tailgate if its in decent shape