whats the best way to make 330ish hp...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tune is good on it! Shifts at 6,500 rpm in Drive too. Makes 315 RWTQ @ 4,500 rpm and 345 RWHP @ 6,400 through an unlocked 4L80E. I still get him 0-60 in my 3 ton brick with a 350. 32" tall tires and 5.13 gears on mine.

I get better mileage than he does, FWIW. 0411 has the same tunability as the LS.

Those number do not sound even close to correct for a H/C 6.0 LS engine. I find it extremely hard to believe the gas mileage deal either if his tune is right, especially not with your gearing. Those numbers are more like bone stock or minor bolt on numbers, not H/C numbers.

Stock numbers are:

The Gen III LQ4 300 horsepower at 4400 RPM and 360 lb-ft at 4000 RPM, while the LQ9 was rated at 345 hp at 5200 RPM and 380 lb-ft of torque at 4000 RPM.

Something critical is missing or is just BS. I have been around way too many LS combos from mild to wild to buy what your saying as truth.

Or someone just can't build a combo worth a crap and slapped some **** together not knowing WTF they were doing.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Here we go with more, "I would like advice but only if you fit under these very specific parameters and have extensive knowledge in the area, no suggestions unless you are in this very category."

If you want such specific advice, talk to a Speed shop. Otherwise, stop being so picky. Lol

He wants real advice, not guesswork. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

homesick

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
He wants real advice, not guesswork. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

I agree, some of these guys are just dogpiling to dogpile. There's nothing wrong with specific questions; and there's nothing wrong with less specific answers when that's all you have to offer.

joe

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those number do not sound even close to correct for a H/C 6.0 LS engine. I find it extremely hard to believe the gas mileage deal either if his tune is right, especially not with your gearing. Those numbers are more like bone stock or minor bolt on numbers, not H/C numbers.

Stock numbers are:

The Gen III LQ4 300 horsepower at 4400 RPM and 360 lb-ft at 4000 RPM, while the LQ9 was rated at 345 hp at 5200 RPM and 380 lb-ft of torque at 4000 RPM.

Something critical is missing or is just BS. I have been around way too many LS combos from mild to wild to buy what your saying as truth.

Or someone just can't build a combo worth a crap and slapped some **** together not knowing WTF they were doing.

Actually you do not know what you are talking about.

What bone stock LQ4 have you seen make 345 RWHP?

They make more like 240-260 RWHP depending on the year.

H/C 6.0L makes about 450-470 hp at the crank? Through a 4L80E 350 rwhp is about the ballpark of where it should be. 4L80E driveline will eat about 25%. 345 rwhp /.75 = 460 fwhp

His efficiency is ruined by the cam and loose converter. My smaller cam and tighter converter along with the lower gear mean my engine does not work as hard to move the thing. I also make ALOT more torque off-idle and into the midrange than his 6.0L does which means I am not stepping on the gas as hard or turning the RPM he does everytime I want to move in traffic.

My RPM on the highway is only 300 rpm higher than his, but I have less engine load. I run lean cruise at 16.5:1 air/fuel ratio at a steady 70 mph.

Also with the gearing and torque curve of the 350 in my setup I beat him to 60. Shifting at 6,000 rpm my first gear is good to 45 mph and 2nd to 75 mph. Shifting at 6,500 rpm his 1st gear is good to 57 mph and 2nd to 94 mph. To get up into his powerband he has get moving to a higher road speed than I do. I actually stay out in front of him up to about 80 mph.

I think his truck would perform DRASTICALLY BETTER with a 4.56 gear and those 28" tall tires. I ran that exact same combination on my 2006 Hemi Ram quad cab when I had it. That truck ran a best of 8.30 @ 82 mph in the 1/8. It also ran 8.50s and 8.60s on 32" tall 20s.

I think my irritation here is that everybody thinks just throw a LS in it and it will get 1,000 hp and 40 mpg and 9 second 1/4 mile.

Last edited:

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

H/C 6.0L makes about 450-470 hp at the crank? Through a 4L80E 345 rwhp is about the ballpark of where it should be. 4L80E driveline will eat about 25%. 345 rwhp /.75 = 460 fwhp

Lol, yea I don't know what I'm talking about with LS engines. Keep telling yourself that though. Nowhere did i mention RWHP or flywheel, you assumed. I had gave you benefit of the doubt from other inaccurate things you have posted but I'm done. Now I know why other members have called you out on this Forum and others. I'm not gonna drag this anymore off course.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only reason I would swap in an ls is if I didn't have room for a distributor. I've used several 5.3 and 6.0's through work and personal trucks - Good, but not better to me. 6.0 had less low end tq and got worse mpg, never really understood that??? 5.3 just made me irritated.

To each their own.

P.S. I have been dying for a reason to post on this thread, knowing that I don't know much about the OP's EXCACT parts combo. :)

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lol, yea I don't know what I'm talking about with LS engines. Keep telling yourself that though. Nowhere did i mention RWHP or flywheel, you assumed. I had gave you benefit of the doubt from other inaccurate things you have posted but I'm done. Now I know why other members have called you out on this Forum and others. I'm not gonna drag this anymore off course.

I have not posted a single thing that is not accurate. If I have please quote it and furnish proof!

I think you made some assumptions as well, like my overall gearing, without knowing the tire sizes and circumference of said tires that greatly impact the gearing and cruise rpm.

I am happy with my modified 350 Vortec and would not be as happy with a 6.0L much less a 5.3 is the point I was trying to make. If I want more power someday I will just build a 396 or stroked 400 small block and put the same top-end I am currently running on it. Perhaps also install a Weiand Stealthram intake in place of the L31 Marine intake while I am at it.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

H/C 6.0L makes about 450-470 hp at the crank? Through a 4L80E 350 rwhp is about the ballpark of where it should be. 4L80E driveline will eat about 25%. 345 rwhp /.75 = 460 fwhp

His efficiency is ruined by the cam and loose converter. My smaller cam and tighter converter along with the lower gear mean my engine does not work as hard to move the thing. I also make ALOT more torque off-idle and into the midrange than his 6.0L does which means I am not stepping on the gas as hard or turning the RPM he does everytime I want to move in traffic.

My RPM on the highway is only 300 rpm higher than his, but I have less engine load. I run lean cruise at 16.5:1 air/fuel ratio at a steady 70 mph.

Also with the gearing and torque curve of the 350 in my setup I beat him to 60. Shifting at 6,000 rpm my first gear is good to 45 mph and 2nd to 75 mph. Shifting at 6,500 rpm his 1st gear is good to 57 mph and 2nd to 94 mph. To get up into his powerband he has get moving to a higher road speed than I do. I actually stay out in front of him up to about 80 mph.

I think his truck would perform DRASTICALLY BETTER with a 4.56 gear and those 28" tall tires. I ran that exact same combination on my 2006 Hemi Ram quad cab when I had it. That truck ran a best of 8.30 @ 82 mph in the 1/8. It also ran 8.50s and 8.60s on 32" tall 20s.

I think my irritation here is that everybody thinks just throw a LS in it and it will get 1,000 hp and 40 mpg and 9 second 1/4 mile.

That's definetly not me. I built my LS myself with research, talking to TSP and other top engine builders, then had a guy on LS1TECH who is VERY well respected port/polish/mill/assemble/flow a set 9f stock 5.3 heads for me. It took me almost 2 yrs of research and talking to people to get my combo like I wanted. In the end it laid down over 400rwhp on an initial dyno on pump gas and stock tune with 80k miles on the combo. I daily drove it and spun it to 6500 at least 3x a day for years.

I'm not here to argue and I'm not going to post 8n here again cause this is getting off topic and I do not wish to turn his thread into a dick measuring contest. But you ain't got no Virgin here.....

Rob C

Reaction score
P.S. I have been dying for a reason to post on this thread, knowing that I don't know much about the OP's EXCACT parts combo. :)

first... i was giving what id like to do with the engine..... the question was toward the fi systems themselves... and the limitations of the oe system and ease of tuning it with dynamic...

next i thought this was a car site not biebers fan page... whats with all the wadded up panties...

so next if i were going for out and out performance id would go ls no question.. its a much better performance base and i know plenty of people that can easily tune those...

next i like gen 1 engines and plan on keeping the short block new cam and heads
and so far ive only seen one person come close to giving an answer to this

Last edited: