whats the best way to make 330ish hp...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To the op. If you are willing to spend that kind of money on a set of heads then you need to check out some of the budget options that are aluminum heads through Summit site. for about six hundred bucks a piece you can get some nice aluminum heads. Check them out and post back here if you have any questions. That cam that you were choosing is definitely a bit small and it is a flat tappet cam. You'd be much better off with a roller set up. As far as the injection goes you really can't beat f i Tech. Yes you could go with a dynamic EFI ebl Flash but there's still quite a bit of a learning curve and you still have to mess with it for a while until it's right.

As far as the my ***** is longer Small Block vs LS contest, I too agree that the ls is a better platform but the small block does have its place. Neither engine is a bad engine and the ls typically is more efficient. As far as magic tuning in combos go I believe you guys have probably seen my previous post. If you haven't, don't believe the crap that you're being spouted hear about magic tuning and Magic setups. Get some real-world advice and only believe about 10% of the crap that you here on here. Educate yourself and keep away from Fast talkers.

Just because this thread has been thrown completely off track anyway, I like peppermint ice cream. How about you guys?

Rob C

Reaction score
That cam the OP posted is pretty damn weak on lift, especially if combined with some Vortec heads.
i have experience with that cam on 3 engines with the iron eagle heads one with w/p sr sportsmans... one in a 70 rcsb c10 a 71 camaro and an 84 camaro the pick up and 84 were backed with a 700r4 all were right around 9 to 1 compression all ran 650s on performer intakes headers and 2.5 duals...

no its not a race cam... im not looking to make 330 at the wheels but net at the crank my question is NOT about the engine but the fuel injection.. the actual real world tunability of the oe tbi setup or would it be easier to go standalone.. if so i was leaning toward the sniper curious if the people that have used it were able to get the oe computer to still control lock up and use the cruise control. and how if they did

and ive never built an engine with vortec heads ive had a few trucks with them but they were all dead stock.. question would be is the savings worth it can get those for 700 vs 1100 for the iron eagles i posted the different types of those to show i can get them for either intake style

also had an lq4 in a 2002 ecsb 2500hd yes it got 11mpg no matter what but i mostly used it for towing didnt think it was bad for that... till i got the 6.6... as for the other question comparing a modded and geared 350 to a stock 6.0 not fair

my 98 vette put down 389whp ith an intake headerback exhaust and tune the 01 z06 put down 421whp same basic setup...
my 05 5.3 rcsb did 285whp with high flow cats 3 inch magnaflow exhaust volant intake 87 octane tune... bought that one how its sat never did anything to it

honestly the 285whp should be close to what i will make with the setup described... only with a lot more torque

Last edited:

Rob C

Reaction score
for about six hundred bucks a piece you can get some nice aluminum heads.
haha oddly enough... love where the truck sits right now... aluminum heads intake ect would drop nearly 80lbs off the front.. otherwise edelbrock makes a nice set for about 950 a set... have thought about it though maybe put in a v6 set of springs... removing 80 pounds directly over an axle... when youre happy with how something handles thats a crap shoot

and ill put in a vote for coffee ice cream....

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You just said you've never done a Vortec headed motor. I'm telling you it wants more than .450" lift. More lift is not going to hurt drivability one bit, it's just more power everywhere. And how is it unfair to compare a modded 350 to a stock 6.0? I had to stick a Whipple on my 350 to go faster than a 6.0 with nothing more than a PCM flash. I get that you're staying gen I, but it is relevant to some of the off topic discussion here. FI Tech stuff isn't as adjustable as the factory stuff, but it is simple to tune. People love to tout its self tuning capability but if you never get in there and make it right then it never will be so in the end you may as well do something with more adjustment. The only compelling thing about it IMO is that it's super easy to retrofit EFI to a carb car this way. I'd be more compelled to do a multipoint swap personally, not sure if this is something you've considered?

Rob C

Reaction score
I'd be more compelled to do a multipoint swap personally, not sure if this is something you've considered
the edelbrock pro-flo is in the list cost is about the same if you take into account intake manifold and ignition...
if you read up a few comments youll see what i meant about the modded 350 to the 6.0

and you get into higher lift they do make more power across the board can raise the octane needed... also should run higher tq converter really should rebuild the trans with better parts and clutches

roller cams... yep make more hp with out hurting tq... cost almost a grand with the cam... vs 110 for a flat tappet replacement... heads are the biggest bang for the buck in this equation...

again only looking to make about 260-270 rwhp over 300 rwtq turning 5500 rpm nothing crazy...

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Derr, I keep forgetting flat tappet is the reason for the meager lift. A set of factory roller lifters was $120 on Amazon last I checked, they're the same thing as the LS7 lifters. I have dogbones and a spider if you want to go that route.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We used FI tech on a turbo SBF and it was pretty easy to setup. Took us a little while to dial in the A/F in boost but it's been doing great.

Sorry that's all I have for input.

I vote Turbo LSx.... ;)

Doing a little tuning the other night and I was seeing 120-122mph in the 1/4 mile by eyeball. Haven't been to the track yet. Trying to dial everything in before hand. It's been getting everywhere from 18 to 22mpg so far with the Cam 5.3 and 75mm turbo. I want to run 10s and get 25mpg haha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Derr, I keep forgetting flat tappet is the reason for the meager lift. A set of factory roller lifters was $120 on Amazon last I checked, they're the same thing as the LS7 lifters. I have dogbones and a spider if you want to go that route.

Even cheaper right now for the lifters, I just checked and they were $99.99 with free shipping on Amazon, GM part#12499225

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We used FI tech on a turbo SBF and it was pretty easy to setup. Took us a little while to dial in the A/F in boost but it's been doing great.

Sorry that's all I have for input.

I vote Turbo LSx.... ;)

Doing a little tuning the other night and I was seeing 120-122mph in the 1/4 mile by eyeball. Haven't been to the track yet. Trying to dial everything in before hand. It's been getting everywhere from 18 to 22mpg so far with the Cam 5.3 and 75mm turbo. I want to run 10s and get 25mpg haha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Its doable with a boosted LS. A good friend of mine built a boosted 370 LS with a procharger and when it was all said and done he was in the 600's power wise and getting 22mpg. It was a very detailed build. But that's what it takes for outstanding results. Just buying any ol' advertised parts and slapping it together will always lead to disappointment.