whats the best way to make 330ish hp...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's definetly not me. I built my LS myself with research, talking to TSP and other top engine builders, then had a guy on LS1TECH who is VERY well respected port/polish/mill/assemble/flow a set 9f stock 5.3 heads for me. It took me almost 2 yrs of research and talking to people to get my combo like I wanted. In the end it laid down over 400rwhp on an initial dyno on pump gas and stock tune with 80k miles on the combo. I daily drove it and spun it to 6500 at least 3x a day for years.

I'm not here to argue and I'm not going to post 8n here again cause this is getting off topic and I do not wish to turn his thread into a dick measuring contest. But you ain't got no Virgin here.....

What was the vehicle weight and trap speed? I know some very exaggerated dynos in this world. I have seen H/C 6L swapped 6 spd LS1 F-cars barely touch 400 rwhp on a good tune. If you were running a 60E and 8.5 puke driveline those are about 18% loss. 7% on a 450 hp engine is 36 hp better at the tires through that weak ass ticking time bomb of a driveline. I also know for a damn fact you are not touching anywhere close to 6,500 rpm on any stock GM truck tune!

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
first... i was giving what id like to do with the engine..... the question was toward the fi systems themselves... and the limitations of the oe system and ease of tuning it with dynamic...

next i thought this was a car site not biebers fan page... whats with all the wadded up panties...

so next if i were going for out and out performance id would go ls no question.. its a much better performance base and i know plenty of people that can easily tune those...

next i like gen 1 engines and plan on keeping the short block new cam and heads
and so far ive only seen one person come close to giving an answer to this

I keep reading how the LS is more efficient, a better platform, more powerful - yet in the real world, my slightly modded 350 seems to pull the trailer as good or better, and gets better mpg.

If I need more power, I will build something that has an 8.1, not a 5.3/6.0 as an improvement over a 5.7. If you are only going to get 10-11mpg like the 6.0 gets, you might as well have some decent tq.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You guys down-talking the LS truck engines have really got me confused. I like old stuff as much as the next guy but the OP of this thread could easily meet his goals with a junkyard 4.8L LS plus a cam and springs if he was willing to run E85. This chart is from the Sloppy Mechanics Infiniti G48 project before Matt put any nitrous or the blower on it. And I'm pretty sure it had valve issues in one of the heads when he got these results...

EDIT - Wouldn't let me post the image directly, first chart at the top of this page. 356HP/308TQ at the wheels naturally aspirated.

https://sites.google.com/site/sloppywiki/sloppy-builds/infinity-g48

I have no idea what the actual dyno numbers for my dad's bone stock '06 3500 with the LQ4 are but it makes the Vortec 350 in my K1500 Suburban seem like a kids toy, even in a big heavy one ton. To each their own, but whenever the V6 in my red truck decides to finally give up, it's getting an LQ4. No-brainer IMO.

Last edited:

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What was the vehicle weight and trap speed? I know some very exaggerated dynos in this world. I have seen H/C 6L swapped 6 spd LS1 F-cars barely touch 400 rwhp on a good tune. If you were running a 60E and 8.5 puke driveline those are about 18% loss. 7% on a 450 hp engine is 36 hp better at the tires through that weak ass ticking time bomb of a driveline. I also know for a damn fact you are not touching anywhere close to 6,500 rpm on any stock GM truck tune!

First it wasn't in a truck, which really doesn't matter at all, except overall weight. Second, if you know people barely cracking 400 with a tune they DO NOT know wtf they are doing, period.

Only pass i ever made after the combo went in was on street tires, spun while peddling thru 3rd and still trapped 116mph on stock tune and 87 pump gas. This was a T56 car with a **** stock 7.5" 10 bolt and 3.42 gears.

People tried to tell me I was gonna kill the motor on stock tune as modified as it was and running 87 but it ran perfect for 80k and the motor had 100k on it when the heads came off. When I sold it the guy took it to get tuned, said the initial pull was right at 400rwhp and over 420rwhp after the tune was finished, and that's with 80k of my beating on it before he got it.

This was the vehicle in question
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You guys down-talking the LS truck engines have really got me confused. I like old stuff as much as the next guy but the OP of this thread could easily meet his goals with a junkyard 4.8L LS plus a cam and springs if he was willing to run E85. This chart is from the Sloppy Mechanics Infiniti G48 project before Matt put any nitrous or the blower on it. And I'm pretty sure it had valve issues in one of the heads when he got these results...

EDIT - Wouldn't let me post the image directly, first chart at the top of this page. 356HP/308TQ at the wheels naturally aspirated.

https://sites.google.com/site/sloppywiki/sloppy-builds/infinity-g48

I have no idea what the actual dyno numbers for my dad's bone stock '06 3500 with the LQ4 are but it makes the Vortec 350 in my K1500 Suburban seem like a kids toy, even in a big heavy one ton.

That isn't a fair comparison. Your dads truck probably has radically different gearing/exhaust/tuning than your 1500 - same as a three quarter/1 ton would with a (comparably fresh) vortec 350. And as far as that dyno chart - I don't want to tow at 6000 + rpms haha.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My 1500 in my sig, minus the marine intake and blower, just barely squeaked out an ECSB GMT800 6.0 truck bone stock 4L80E 4.10 gears like mine, but stock sized tires so 32"? I reflashed his tune and got rid of the BS and bumped him up to 91 octane and the thing buttraped me the next time we lined up. It was good to see that my work had some tangible results, but losing sucks. With that said, mine made more low end at that time. IMO the only time that would be advantageous is if the truck is willing to pull in OD, as soon as you downshift to 3rd both engines are in their happy place and the LS is going to pull ahead. 5.3 though is WAY off in terms of output, much much weaker.

That cam the OP posted is pretty damn weak on lift, especially if combined with some Vortec heads. I'd recommend a little more gear to help it off the line, maybe a looser converter too if keeping duration in that range. One thing to consider is that the GM Ramjet engine is rated at 330hp and it does that with very little cam. You could easily meet in the middle with the cam and have your desired power all in by 5500. Stock LT1 makes around 300 crank, mine dyno'd 292whp with 2.5" y pipe, 3" bullet dumped at rear axle, PVC pipe/cone filter intake, and BBK underdrive crank pulley in my T56 93 Camaro.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First it wasn't in a truck, which really doesn't matter at all, except overall weight. Second, if you know people barely cracking 400 with a tune they DO NOT know wtf they are doing, period.

Only pass i ever made after the combo went in was on street tires, spun while peddling thru 3rd and still trapped 116mph on stock tune and 87 pump gas. This was a T56 car with a **** stock 7.5" 10 bolt and 3.42 gears.

People tried to tell me I was gonna kill the motor on stock tune as modified as it was and running 87 but it ran perfect for 80k and the motor had 100k on it when the heads came off. When I sold it the guy took it to get tuned, said the initial pull was right at 400rwhp and over 420rwhp after the tune was finished, and that's with 80k of my beating on it before he got it.

This was the vehicle in question
You must be registered for see images attach

My point exactly!!! You are talking about a manual trans F-car with crap lightweight driveshaft and 7.5 rear that probably only has a 15% driveline loss vs a 4L80E truck that has a 25% loss. The HP difference the same engine would put to the tires through those drastically different drivelines would be eye opening! Your engine was not making any more power than his is and his is not making any less than yours!