whats the best way to make 330ish hp...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its doable with a boosted LS. A good friend of mine built a boosted 370 LS with a procharger and when it was all said and done he was in the 600's power wise and getting 22mpg. It was a very detailed build. But that's what it takes for outstanding results. Just buying any ol' advertised parts and slapping it together will always lead to disappointment.
I don't think I've ever fallen into the advertising gimmick thankfully.

I know a few setups that work and can last for 300k miles. I already have 240k+ miles with this 75mm turbo on a LQ4.

We put a 4.8 in my buddy's mustang with twin 71's and he put down 1030 or 1130hp to the tire. Dont remember which number but either is alot. Running M1 Methanol and a Turbo Glide, MPG is not what he is looking for.

I Luvs turbos.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Rob C

Reaction score
Even cheaper right now for the lifters, I just checked and they were $99.99 with free shipping on Amazon, GM part#12499225
hmmm... never looked past the first article i read on them...
just looked around and found retrofit kits for 120-150 and of course much more...
think i need the retrofit as my engine is a new casting and they stopped putting the provisions in after 92 i believe...
now i have more to look up and more to think about... haha...
thank you for the input even a mild roller cam would put me where i want to be...

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you have the bosses cast in your block you need only dogbones and a spider to complete said retrofit. I have extras I don't need if you decide to go this route, yours for the cost of shipping.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever fallen into the advertising gimmick thankfully.

I know a few setups that work and can last for 300k miles. I already have 240k+ miles with this 75mm turbo on a LQ4.

We put a 4.8 in my buddy's mustang with twin 71's and he put down 1030 or 1130hp to the tire. Dont remember which number but either is alot. Running M1 Methanol and a Turbo Glide, MPG is not what he is looking for.

I Luvs turbos.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I used to see it on tech all the time, a vendor get a new part, post dyno sheets and people just jumped on it and threw it on a stock motor and wondered why their results sucked. It's all about research and parts compatibility.

No gimmick on his as the full build was highly detailed on LS1TECH as well. He was running a meth kit with it as well to keep it off race gas so he could daily it if he wanted to. He didn't shoot for max effort build, just a solid one. I believe it was a F1A procharger, not a smaller D1SC.

I'm not against turbos at all but prochargers are no slouches if the engine combo they are put on is right. I was just saying it's completely possible to achieve numbers people used to not believe, hp and mgp wise. Between EFI, tuning and boost there has been some incredible builds with what some would call unrealistic results.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
He needs push rods and the cam plate too.

I know the plate is cheap and easy to get. He'd have to get crafty to get super cheap pushrods though. I just stole the pushrods off of my Vortec parts motor for my spare LT1 that I'm putting together, turns out they both run a 7.18" pushrod so there's another option.

Decided to edit this instead of make a new post. Shame on me for forgetting about the cam plate and pushrods, I actually swapped a TBI to roller cam a few years back.

Last edited:

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Who in their right mind eats peppermint ice cream? That is messed up.

You guys lost me at 91 octane. Where my truck goes, that isn't even an option at times and I am pulling a trailer. The LS may be better when modded and able to do stuff like run higher octane fuel, but I would go with an 8.1 and feed her the crappy stuff. The 6.0 pulling a trailer, running crappy fuel, seems similar to my 5.7. Good, but nothing special. Not a radical difference between them.

SlowZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now I know why other members have called you out on this Forum and others. I'm not gonna drag this anymore off course.

I was gonna say, look up Fast355 on performancetrucks.net and see how much hate he has earned himself over there haha.

Op, if Fullsizechevy was still around, there was a user over there named D00ber I believe that was making decent power with an EBL flash controlled tbi on a 383. Don’t quote me on it but I think it was somewhere around 400-450hp at the crank. In a RCSB as well if I recall. His truck was the reason I decided on the EBL flash for my build which has effectively stalled out. I’d stick with the tbi if I were you and go with ebl flash. It’s the cheapest, easiest to adapt and RBOB provides outstanding support on Thirdgen.org. Not sure if he’s on here or not. Probably not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know the plate is cheap and easy to get. He'd have to get crafty to get super cheap pushrods though. I just stole the pushrods off of my Vortec parts motor for my spare LT1 that I'm putting together, turns out they both run a 7.18" pushrod so there's another option.

Decided to edit this instead of make a new post. Shame on me for forgetting about the cam plate and pushrods, I actually swapped a TBI to roller cam a few years back.
I only said something about the cam plate and push rods so they didn't get missed if someone was going to do the swap.