whats the best way to make 330ish hp...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wade

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
oe tbi can it go to 5500rpm ie... harris performance says no 5k is the limit, others say over 6k... as i said everything i read cancels out everything else i read... seems like everything is hearsay... why i was looking for personal experience didnt mean to offend anyone

Anyone who thinks that a stock TBI motor can rev over 6k is a straight up fool. . . The stock TBI has a rev limiter up in the 5000 range, Swirlport heads absolutely crap out above like 4200, the springs are weak, and the stock cam can't support rpm anyways.
But why does it matter? That will be gone if you put an aftermarket efi on, or you can have it tweaked if you get a custom chip for the TBI.

Rob C

Reaction score
lol yeah i know the ls motors... truck wise had a rcsb 2002 and 05 5.3s... car wise a 97 z51 corvette 99 frc and 01 z06...
vortec engine wise 3 with 5.7s all c2500 ecsb 2 rclb... have a 05 6.6 ccfb... had 2 95 6.5s rcdually and rollback
and dont hate but have a 05 mustang gt had another 05 and an 06... had a 2002 clk55 amg... 95 and 02 m3.. 92 caddy sts
2 89 honda prelude 2.0si, 90 rcsb nissan hardbody< first vehicle..... second was 90 gmc rcsb was my dads got that in 93.. 2 other 90 gmc..
93 chevy... 2 97 two door cherokees... 04 colorado rcsb zq8... yes i tend to repeat vehicles
everything but the work trucks and the 93 were modified
not counting cars i just bought to fix and sell... do that when i get bored
i know cars and mechanics like to build motors and chassis
and fully admit... nothing about computer tuning... other than reading dynamic efi page which id have to do a few more times.. info overload

love these trucks just have never gotten the engine quite right been 11 years sense my last one
goal would be 5500rpm and pull strong to redline.. over 300hp 87 octane keeping all factory gauges a/c and cruise
so an engine swap is not realistic in my case

plus those dyno numbers in that video are what is referred to as gross hp... which is depending on accessories intake and exhaust 15-25 percent of net which is 15-20 percent of wheel best case on that stock 355hp dyno run would be 301 net crank and 256 wheel

Last edited:

Rob C

Reaction score
Anyone who thinks that a stock TBI motor can rev over 6k is a straight up fool. . . The stock TBI has a rev limiter up in the 5000 range, Swirlport heads absolutely crap out above like 4200, the springs are weak, and the stock cam can't support rpm anyways.
But why does it matter? That will be gone if you put an aftermarket efi on, or you can have it tweaked if you get a custom chip for the TBI.
not the stock engine... the oe fuel injection and computer... the stock engine and tune fall on its face at less than 4k my main issue with where im at now... pulls decent to 50 then nothing had a damn 6 cylinder toyota pull on me 3 days ago on the freeway.. why i decided i have to do something with this engine...

Last edited:

blacksport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i am doing the swap the first of the year i am determined to keep the cruse and stock gauges.
it can be done......
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have had a purpose built TBI setup that would pull well into the 7,000 rpm range. The newer TBI PCM that was used from about 93-95 has fuel and spark tables to 6,400 rpm. The setup I tuned was a 406 with a solid roller cam, 230cc heads, and dual tbi units on a tunnel ram. TBI is just a throttle body and fuel management system. What TBI can do is limited by what is under the TBI unit. If you went with the EBL you could have it setup to run dual TBI units. Dual factory 350 TBI units can easily support over 600 hp if you bump the fuel pressure. On the dual TBI setup I mentioned above I eliminated the factory fuel pressure regulators and parallel plumbed them to an external regulator. Stock 350 TBI units at 20 PSI had more than enough fuel to feed the 400 at 7,200 rpm.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Here we go with more, "I would like advice but only if you fit under these very specific parameters and have extensive knowledge in the area, no suggestions unless you are in this very category."

If you want such specific advice, talk to a Speed shop. Otherwise, stop being so picky. Lol

but above all else, once its set... I NEVER WANT TO THINK ABOUT IT AGAIN... factory reliable

+1 to swap a 5.3L in it and call it a day, then sell the Factory TBI engine on CL. :cheers:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
+1 to swap a 5.3L in it and call it a day, then sell the Factory TBI engine on CL. :cheers:

LOL....If it were my truck no way and no how! I am still not impressed with my friends ECSB 1500 6.0L swap. He has milled and ported heads, a cam, trailblazer ss intake manifold, long tubes, 3,200 stall converter and 3.90 gears. It does not impress me at all!

Last edited:

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
LOL....If it were my truck no way and no how! I am still not impressed with my friends 97 ECSB 1500 6.0L swap. He has milled and ported heads, a cam, trailblazer ss intake manifold, long tubes, 3,200 stall converter and 3.90 gears. It does not impress me at all!

Unless his tune is ****, I'll call BS on that. I know for a fact what a 6.0 LS with the work you listed will do and it's well above a day and night difference over a stock TBI or Vortec, hell even a modified version of either of those motor platforms.

Like it or not there is no denying the LS platform is more efficient and more powerful along with better tunability and driveability as well. Only down side I can think of VS old 350s is the parts costs and learning curve of the modern technology for the older crowd.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unless his tune is ****, I'll call BS on that. I know for a fact what a 6.0 LS with the work you listed will do and it's well above a day and night difference over a stock TBI or Vortec, hell even a modified version of either of those motor platforms.

Like it or not there is no denying the LS platform is more efficient and more powerful along with better tunability and driveability as well. Only down side I can think of VS old 350s is the parts costs and learning curve of the modern technology for the older crowd.

Tune is good on it! Shifts at 6,500 rpm in Drive too. Makes 315 RWTQ @ 4,500 rpm and 345 RWHP @ 6,400 through an unlocked 4L80E. I still get him 0-60 in my 3 ton brick with a 350. 32" tall tires and 5.13 gears on mine.

I get better mileage than he does, FWIW. 0411 has the same tunability as the LS.

TBI tuneability is also GREAT if you know what you are doing. With my Moates Autoprom I can change every last part of the tune with the engine running if I feel like it.

Even with a 200cc intake port my old 350 makes peak torque 800 rpm sooner and is still making power in the 6,000-6,200 rpm range. Down in the 1,500-2,500 rpm range old 350 is 30-40 ft/lbs stronger than his 6.0L. I run the stock GM B82 converter that stalls about 2,500 rpm behind the 5.7.

Also for the record his truck runs what my crew cab Titan ran with bolt ons and tuning.

Last edited: