What transmission do i have?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joshsb

Reaction score
I have a '93 chevy c1500 with a 4spd+OD. From what I hear it should be a nv3500, but my chilton manual (88-93) mentions nothing about the nv3500- only the nv4500. The "84mm" looks similar, but i've heard there are a couple different transmissions with different designs. The housing is stamped "GM 8672305"

I'd like to know because i'm planning on changing the trans fluid. I opened the fill plug last night and got a surprise when (a lot of) oil shot out. Any reason my transmission would be filled way above the fill port? Someone must have added quite a bit through the shifter.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
I think that is NVG 5LM60 and its made by gertag? If fluid is coming out of the fill plug its overfull.

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
Your RPO codes will tell you what transmission you have and yes, it is overfilled. If the fluid looks good, just leave it after you let the excess drain out. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If someone was messing up badly enough to overfill it a bunch, I'd also question whether they used the correct fluid. The light duty 5 speeds used in these trucks require Syncromesh style fluid. I'd consider draining it fully and refilling with the correct stuff, just to be sure. The light duty 5's aren't durable by any means, and rebuilding them is something even good shops don't enjoy. They're not fun.

Richard

joshsb

Reaction score
So there were still NVG 5lm60's put in '93 light dutys? I'll check with the dealer today to find out exactly what it is, my codes aren't there

WeirdTim

Reaction score
Follow the below link to my Photobucket. Right now I'm going through a 1994 NV3500 5 speed to replace the original one in my 1990 C1500 with 220K miles on it. Picked up the 94 NV3500 for $100 off of Craigslist this winter. Click on each picture as I've written information not found on forums or in some manuals. Will say that the 93-95 external slave, single shift rail versions are fairly easy to go through once you've done it once.

http://s269.photobucket.com/user/Ge...500 NV3500 Transmission Rebuild?sort=3&page=1