What shocks do I buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Bilsteins aren't expensive enough for you? The only shocks I see more expensive on Rockauto are the Rancho RS9000's, at about 90 a corner. The Bilsteins are like 60 something for the fronts and 80-ish for the rears. They're definitely not cheap.

$3XX for a full set of shocks is not expensive at all. Furthermore, I can't understand why OE replacement shocks are all so stingy with valving across the board. Look up some King shocks, those are expen$ive.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Bilsteins aren't expensive enough for you? The only shocks I see more expensive on Rockauto are the Rancho RS9000's, at about 90 a corner. The Bilsteins are like 60 something for the fronts and 80-ish for the rears. They're definitely not cheap.

$3XX for a full set of shocks is not expensive at all. Furthermore, I can't understand why OE replacement shocks are all so stingy with valving across the board. Look up some King shocks, those are expen$ive.

Ben Burrage

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go Bilstein for Shocks. This not an upgrade you can cheap out on, or you will destroy all your other front end parts. I upgraded my torsion bars, installed new keys, and spacers in the rear. Then finished it with Bilstein 5100s. My 97 had a cheap level lift on it when I bought it, and I had to rebuild the entire front end after; idler, pitman, tie rods, ball joints, and all the bushings. Pay now or pay later....

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

I don't follow your logic. As I stated I don't see much else that's more than Bilstens, but you're insisting that $300 is not expensive.... what are you buying that's more expensive? King is comparing apples to oranges. King builds high performance race shocks. They have an OEM performance series now, but they still look like they came off of a desert truck.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I don't follow your logic. As I stated I don't see much else that's more than Bilstens, but you're insisting that $300 is not expensive.... what are you buying that's more expensive? King is comparing apples to oranges. King builds high performance race shocks. They have an OEM performance series now, but they still look like they came off of a desert truck.

Exactly, there's no middle ground. It shouldn't take a set of $7,000 shocks to get something with stiffer valving. My Camaro has Bilstein racing shocks that are $800/pair and my Corvette has shocks that are around $500-600 new for all 4. They're revalved Sachs (stock) shocks and have EXCELLENT low speed valving. Even stock was good. These trucks just bounce and wallow around but still knock your teeth out. People think a stiff shock will ride like crap, but they don't realize how far on the soft end of the spectrum that they are.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Notice that the OP (with three total posts) has not been back. The possibility of SPAM looms larger.

Ah.... it's an excuse to have an "oil thread" without re-hashing oil. I don't think any of us are going to run out and buy "his" shocks anyhow. Well the GR2s aren't bad, but I think I successfully diverted those sales to Rockauto :D

Tinbanger1979

Reaction score
You can get Bilstein 4600 or Bilstein 5100 series shocks in a 1" to 3" leveling kit length. I have 4600s on my 1994 K2500 454 suburban and 5100s on my 2006 F250 6.0 truck. They have basically the same stiffer than stock valving, the 5100s just look fancier.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No 5100 shocks available for a GMT400 with a crank. Maybe there's another application that bolts in, but I tried getting some before and Bilstein told me they don't make them. They do make them for 4-6" lifts though.