What shocks do I buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know some people have good experiences with cheap shocks but I've always been disappointed with anything less than monotube shocks. Kyb gas a just and monomax are better and still quite cheap.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Interesting to see how Monroe doesn't seem to be a good brand anymore. Back when I was in the parts business (when our trucks were first introduced)Monroe gas magnums were the ones that we used for all our trucks and Burbs. They really made a difference in ride and handling. The current Burb has gabriel shocks on it now and it's helped the truck a lot.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Monroe can suck my left nut and make the right one jealous. That said, I am NOT impressed with the Bilstein 4600s I put on both trucks. Rebound SUCKS. To get a really good shock, you seriously have to open your wallet.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't have anything against Monroe but I just consider them one of the budget options, and I think those specific ones with the springs around them are gimmicky. I think the Gas Magnums or other standard monotube design would be a better choice. Personally I won't run anything but Bilstein on my trucks now though.

@Supercharged111 I wonder if your experience with the Bilstein 4600s had something to do with your trucks having stiffer springs? I like them on my stock half tons.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Bilsteins last longer than any other shock I have experience with. 3-4 years ago I pulled a front OEM Bilstein off my 97 Z71 and it still had a lot of life left with 140k on the odometer.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Monroe can suck my left nut and make the right one jealous. That said, I am NOT impressed with the Bilstein 4600s I put on both trucks. Rebound SUCKS. To get a really good shock, you seriously have to open your wallet.

Bilsteins aren't expensive enough for you? The only shocks I see more expensive on Rockauto are the Rancho RS9000's, at about 90 a corner. The Bilsteins are like 60 something for the fronts and 80-ish for the rears. They're definitely not cheap.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The only shocks I see more expensive on Rockauto are the Rancho RS9000's, at about 90 a corner.

Random slightly relevant and ironic fact... Rancho is made by Tenneco, the same company who makes Monroe.

dave s

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recently put a set of the KYB MonoMax shocks front and back from Rock Auto. They are spec'd for 1-3" of lift. The truck still had the old Black Diamond shocks on it I had installed back in 94! My son in law is no mechanic and he just ran the daylights out of them. New shocks ride real nice. Made a big difference but to be fair, any shock would have. The old ones had no bushings left and three of the four I'm pretty sure were dry of oil. Lol. But the price was good and they do ride nice, and they look good so I'm pleased.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I don't have anything against Monroe but I just consider them one of the budget options, and I think those specific ones with the springs around them are gimmicky. I think the Gas Magnums or other standard monotube design would be a better choice. Personally I won't run anything but Bilstein on my trucks now though.

@Supercharged111 I wonder if your experience with the Bilstein 4600s had something to do with your trucks having stiffer springs? I like them on my stock half tons.

I'm sure it does, they slap down onto the overload and the shocks do not have nearly enough valving to control the rebound from that. But the shocks are still spec'd for that application.