What oil filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

'89/'92Chevy/GMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about removing the oil cooler lines and 90 altogether? and just having the filter threaded right on to the block? is that even possible? what are everyones thoughts?

I know it will run warmer because the oil won't be able to cool, but how much difference would there be? Any other effects because of removing it?

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What about removing the oil cooler lines and 90 altogether? and just having the filter threaded right on to the block? is that even possible? what are everyones thoughts?

I know it will run warmer because the oil won't be able to cool, but how much difference would there be? Any other effects because of removing it?

That is what this whole thread is about.... the filter adapter is doing just that. Lots of these trucks, mainly the 2wds never came factory with oil coolers

'89/'92Chevy/GMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see it now, when I was looking at this last night I didn't notice that the adaptor in the OP didn't have fittings for the oil cooler lines. My 92 2wd has oil cooler and a straight down adaptor with fittings, that is where the confusion came from my apologize.

I have never seen one without an oil cooler other then ones that guys have deleted it by plugging the holes off with caps. I would like to do the same to eliminate some of the oil leaks.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most of the z71 trucks or trucks with towing packages had the oil coolers and the adapter because of the 4x4 front drive shaft. My old 2wd just had that adapter right at the block and no oil cooler.

STEBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i had to delete the remote oil filter lines on my s10 (thanks to my ******** friend forcing my front diff into place when i told him hang on a sec, and he kinked the line) if i ran a wix 51040 the filter was about 1/16 inch above the front driveshaft, then i went to a wix 51030, and gained about 2 in of clearence

51040 and a 51036 will be to long
u might measure from the gasket surface to the highest point on the d/s and run down ur local autoparts store and see how much clearance a 51030 would have

89-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm doing an engine swap now, and I'm thinking of using the standard vertical adapter that was in my Chevelle, along with a PF454 filter. The filter is the replacement for the old PF25, but it's only 3.2" high. Has anyone actually measured the clearance from the block to the front shaft? I'd check it, but my engine is on the floor right now.

89-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like I could go bigger, but there's plenty of room with a pf-454. I got a royal purple equivalent because it is a better filter, and there's tons of room with the vertical adapter.

Here's a comparison between a PF35, PF1218, and a 454. The 454 is right around three inches. The PF454 is listed as the replacement for the old PF25, which was the small block V8 passenger filter. I thought the AC filter looked a little too cheaply made though, so I opted for the RP filter. I think it's a 10-454.
You must be registered for see images

AS you can see, there's enough room to get it in there with it pre-filled without spilling it.