What makes these trucks destroy distributor caps/rotors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did not know that the V6 and I6 overlapped in production. I had always thought the 4.3L V6 replaced the inline completely.
The inline also did not go away, just moved down south.

1995 GMT400 with an OEM TBI 250/5spd. The later ones even had a TPI like MPFI intake.

You must be registered for see images attach

Dillhart541

Reaction score
Ag I stand corrected.
Greetings Dillhart541,

Welcome to the GMT400 forum. Sounds like you are having quite a time with your '89.

As for this thread, it started out originally as a question about the relatively short usable
lifespan for the V8 'crab caps', which were introduced to the GMT400s as part of a
redesign/upgrade for the '96+ model years.

Then in reply #24 a member asked if the crab cap V6 had the same short lifespan issues.
So this is why @454cid stated what he did above. And he is right, for the correct dizzy cap
for your '89 4.3L is the old school 'firing order' style. (See 1st attachment)
The crab-style Left & Right bank V6 cap is in the 2nd attachment.

The rest of the Vortec naming confusion was that GM used this as a marketing tool to refer
to a new swirl-inducing ski ramp inside the intake port starting way back in '85. But this
new design intake port fed into a conventional (let's say V8 TBI like) combustion chamber.
('88-'95 GMT400 4.3 V6s - see 3rd attachment)

In the '96+ 4.3L V6 & 305/350 V8 engines the new heart-shaped combustion chambers
were introduced. (See 4th attachment.) And for what it's worth, '96 was when the 'Vortec'
name was added to the V8s. And now in 2024 a 'true' Vortec engine is considered to be the
V6 & V8 engines with these newer, better breathing heads.

GMT400 perspective:

* '88-'95 4.3 V6: 160-165hp
* '96+ 4.3 V6: 200hp

Note: A pretty decent Wiki article on the evolution of the 4.3L V6: 3/4 of the SBC

Having said all that, I am still interested in hearing how goes the battle with your '89 4.3L GMT400.
When you get that engine bay weatherproofed enough to handle your off roading adventures please
report back with what it took to make it right again.

And all this makes me wonder if there's anyone out there who has owned both Pre-'96 and 96+
GMT400s with the 4.3, and if they remember if those caps lasted the same length of time with
the same driver? Or do you remember a big difference in longevity between the two?

Anyway, I hope this clears up how the early GM marketeering use of Vortec to describe a new
intake swirl port have changed to whether or not the engine has the fast-burn heart-shaped
combustion chambers.

FWIW --
thank you for educating me more and i will say I was wrong forsure!!!

As for the truck. No progress today.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
The inline also did not go away, just moved down south.

1995 GMT400 with an OEM TBI 250/5spd. The later ones even had a TPI like MPFI intake.

GMT400 250 MPFI known as the 4100 with a 5spd behind it.

how much hp and tq did these make

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did not know that the V6 and I6 overlapped in production. I had always thought the 4.3L V6 replaced the inline completely.
the 292 was only the base engine in the upper weight trucks like C3500 etc, and of those most prob went to fleet/chassis cab sales, and then anyone with pickups prob went to a diesel or 454

So while available not that common, and because of the c30 thing, im sure they barely changed it whatsoever in the last years.