What makes these trucks destroy distributor caps/rotors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The little plastic vent dome on those caps is pressed on to a vacuum nipple, hook up a vacuum vent system as shown. Each piece has a function. Check valve keeps fuel fumes out of the distributor for obvious reasons. Filter ensures no dirt or contaminantes enter or restrict the orifice or check valve or find their way into the engine. The orifice has a small metered hole to restrict the flow and prevent the system from being too large of a vacuum leak. Small amount of air purging through the cap all the time makes a big difference in preventing ozone buildup and corrosion from the ozone buildup. Vans and SUVs already have one port of the PCV adapter taken for the HVAC system. The Dorman PCV cap has dual smaller fittings allowing for the distributor vacuum venting system to be added without affecting the use of the other port. Trucks with air injection will already have both ports and both in use.

Last edited:

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The little plastic vent dome on those caps is pressed on to a vacuum nipple, hook up a vacuum vent system as shown. Each piece has a function. Check valve keeps fuel fumes out of the distributor for obvious reasons. Filter ensures no dirt or contaminantes enter or restrict the orifice or check valve or find their way into the engine. The orifice has a small metered hole to restrict the flow and prevent the system from being too large of a vacuum leak. Small amount of air purging through the cap all the time makes a big difference in preventing ozone buildup and corrosion from the ozone buildup. Vans and SUVs already have one port of the PCV adapter taken for the HVAC system. The Dorman PCV cap has dual smaller fittings allowing for the distributor vacuum venting system to be added without affecting the use of the other port. Trucks with air injection will already have both ports and both in use.
So that puts a little oil vapor into the dist.?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So that puts a little oil vapor into the dist.?
Not that I have seen. In that setup the vents are still in the bottom of the distributor base. Adding the filter is more preventative, GM had a filter on the vented optisparks too, so I took the same play from their playbook. Mine has the GM LT1 optispark vent kit that was available and inexpensive 15 years ago. What I drew up does the same basic thing. On my L31, I drilled and tapped the vents on the base, added a 90* hose barb fitting to each, 1 line to the OE air intake duct off the air cleaner behind the MAF, 1 line to the vent system and RTVd the cap to the base. The way thebabove system is setup is just easier if running a vented cap anyway. I wanted to make sure idle fueling would not be thrown off when I first did mine and at the time nobody made a vented cap, however I later discovered that it makes practically zero difference even at idle with that tiny orifice in the hose.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not that I have seen. In that setup the vents are still in the bottom of the distributor base. Adding the filter is more preventative, GM had a filter on the vented optisparks too, so I took the same play from their playbook. Mine has the GM LT1 optispark vent kit that was available and inexpensive 15 years ago. What I drew up does the same basic thing. On my L31, I drilled and tapped the vents on the base, added a 90* hose barb fitting to each, 1 line to the OE air intake duct off the air cleaner behind the MAF, 1 line to the vent system and RTVd the cap to the base. The way thebabove system is setup is just easier if running a vented cap anyway. I wanted to make sure idle fueling would not be thrown off when I first did mine and at the time nobody made a vented cap, however I later discovered that it makes practically zero difference even at idle with that tiny orifice in the hose.
Yeah,probably less than three steps subracted from the IAC.(ha-ha guys,got it right this time).