What makes these trucks destroy distributor caps/rotors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
RFA? Do you mean Radio Frequency Interference (RFI)?

No amount of resistance will change the voltage delivered until current starts to flow. The carbon-rope plug wires use heavy resistance to reduce current flow. The helical-wound plug wires use inductance to reduce current flow. Both types reduce current flow. The big advantage of the wire-wound style seems to be that they have a longer service life compared to the carbon-rope kind--not that they actually work better.

Sorry for misspelling, but RFI is what I meant. "Auto-correct" and fat fingers makes spelling incorrect sometimes.
Yes, I agree with Schurkey to a certain degree. Current to any plug is limited by the ignition coils secondary internal resistance, but produces only as much voltage as required to jump the gap in the plug. It only requires 0.06 amps to kill a human being, so the current is less than that. But for those of us who have been "Bit" by a plug wire would think differently. I have never met anyone who test secondary current.

Doing a tune-up is a term used in the past is gone. Now, we just start by chasing a certain problem or code. But you have to establish engine mechanical. You have to know compression, running compression, plug condition, wire condition and fuel delivery by reading the plug or scan-tool showing fuel trim.

The helical-wound plug wires have less resistance and increases voltage delivery to the plugs, the are used on everything GM sells that uses plug wires.

With the problem of #5 cap terminal only, the focus should be on everything related to #5. The mention of distributor housing vent, ozone, moisture and the formation of nitric acid is making a statement of information some may not know about. If two people of the hundreds on this forum, with this ignition system was not aware of the vent, then learning has occurred!

As for spark plug manufactures, I have always used NGK for many applications. While Delphi, Denso, and Delco's acquisition of Albert Champion company in 1988, thus changing the name to ACDelco produces spark plugs using facilities used for years. I have been in plants that produce spark plugs at the rate of 10k per minute. They fly by you on a conveyor belt at 20 miles an hours. The crimping machine is adjusted to pinch the metal core onto a ceramic plug within 0.001 of and inch. It actually compensates for absent temperature as too tight, it cracks. Too loose, it rotates in the housing. Just right crimp pressure, allows for the brown gas marks on the base of the plug we have all seen.
With V8 engines the norm for decades, V6's, 4 cylinders with turbos and many with superchargers are now the norm. But to supply all of the manufactures that require spark plugs, many suppliers have to be involved.

Cylinder #5 has a problem, so use best practices for diagnostics to find the "Root" cause, then replace the damaged parts that are a "symptom" of that problem.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
As I told him in another thread, I'd be looking at cranking compression, spark plug, and plug wire. Wouldn't surprise me to find that the plug wire has excess resistance, maybe even open-circuit.

Just to follow up. The problem was a cracked cylinder head. Shurkey was right, I needed to pull compression.

Y'aint supposed to get coolant out of the purge valve on the compression gauge, but I did.

Pulled the heads, classic crack at the exhaust port. Head gasket appears to be pristine, no evidence of
leaks.

And Cyl 5 was clean as a whistle lol.

Silverado

Reaction score
Just to follow up. The problem was a cracked cylinder head. Shurkey was right, I needed to pull compression.

Y'aint supposed to get coolant out of the purge valve on the compression gauge, but I did.

Pulled the heads, classic crack at the exhaust port. Head gasket appears to be pristine, no evidence of
leaks.

And Cyl 5 was clean as a whistle lol.

It's always pretty telling when one cylinder is spotless and the rest look like they should. Glad you found it!

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
? Does this problem with Vortec L30 & L31 V8 distributor caps, Also include 4.3L V6 Vortec caps ??

It seems most references here about failed cap epidemic are speaking of Vortec V8.

It seems the Vortec V6 & V8 distributors with "crab caps" are virtually same, but having either 6 or 8 hi-tension cap terminals.

Regardless of any differences between the two; Are 4.3L Vortec V6 owners experiencing same type cap failures and at similar frequency?

Last edited:

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I have replaced my L31's cap and rotor 4 times since I bought it in 2015... Two Delcos, two brass-terminal Bravex... Distributor vent being clear doesn't make any difference for mine either because it's been clear for years, it still eats them. My 03 Blazer got a new ACDelco cap/rotor when I rebuilt the 4.3 engine in 2018, burned through it by the beginning of 2023, replaced it with a Bravex. Same thing... These caps just suck. V6s less than the V8s, but still. And then there's my mom's 05 Blazer with the ORIGINAL cap and rotor at 140k miles and still runs perfect. Obviously things were done differently back then!! Next time the Sierra blows its cap up I'm going 24x reluctor + coil near plug and forgetting the stupid distributor cap ever existed.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
? Does this problem with Vortec L30 & L31 V8 distributor caps, Also include 4.3L V6 Vortec caps ??

It seems most references here about failed cap epidemic are speaking of Vortec V8.

It seems the Vortec V6 & V8 distributors with "crab caps" are virtually same, but having either 6 or 8 hi-tension cap terminals.

Regardless of any differences between the two; Are 4.3L Vortec V6 owners experiencing same type cap failures and at similar frequency?

Hello rebelyell,

I'm trying to come up to speed on the whole 'shorter than average lifespan' of the V8 Vortec crab cap,
and as an old school distributor guy I realized that I was bringing some of my old assumptions
to a differently stressed high voltage playground.

In short, the pre-Vortec dizzy caps provided a simple, unique path straight up and out from where the
rotor is spinning to where the 8 spark plug wires are connected. (Aka: terminals) All 8 cylinders had a
separate yet identical path. Old school tune ups mandated performing a good distributor cap inspection,
included taking a good look inside and ensuring that there wasn't carbon tracks between these terminals,
and if there was any doubt at all, replace it.

Enter the Vortec crab cap. Obviously cross-fire creates misfire = increased emissions & lower customer satisfaction,
so when it came time to meet the new, tighter '96 emissions + OBDII reporting requirements, the engineers wanted
to ensure that the factory wiring routing would remain the same for the entire life of the engine. And if you go to a car
show, if you look at 10 SBCs you will see at least 9 different methods for spark plug routing. (One guy brought 2 cars. :0)

Guess what? In order to sort out the spark plug wires according to Left and Right banks, the crab cap was
created. And the failure trend that I'm starting to look for is where the #3 spark plug path crosses the entire cap
and is routed right next to the center terminal. (where all 8 sparks enter and are coupled to the spinning rotor)

This looks to be a highly stressed area from the design. If the manufacturer isn't utilizing the very best high voltage
insulator materials in the cap, it seems to burn through in the area shown in the photo below:

You must be registered for see images attach

(Picture supplied by fellow GMT400 member {I added the arrows} while we were troubleshooting a
sudden no-start on his vehicle. And replacing the cap fixed the no-start.)

NOTE: The single biggest thing you can do to take some of the pressure off of your ignition system
is to back off from the original .060" spark plug gap, and run a .045" gap instead. (Per a GM TSB
from back in the day that's floating around.) Note: When I bought my chore truck the first thing
I did was remove the well-worn, rounded .063+" plugs and installed a fresh set of .045" gapped
plugs. 90% improvement in idle & part throttle operation right there.

The second thing to do is find some of @L31MaxExpress's engine bay photos featuring the attention
to detail when it comes to routing the spark plug wires and mimic that as close as possible.

And the third thing to do would be to make sure the vent is clear and that the ozone being developed
during normal operation is being positively sucked out via his vacuum purge mod. Good stuff.

Last but not least, the things we fix best are those items that we understand most. We all know that
O2 (oxygen) is good for us but corrosive to metals. Well, O3 (ozone) that's generated by high voltage
arcing is even more corrosive than O2, so in a closed distributor we end up with a pretty harsh environment,
complete with a spinning mini-welder forced to work up to ~40 Kilovolts. Check out this short video of a
running engine equipped with a clear plastic HEI dizzy cap:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

NOTE: The old HEI dizzy cap was of large diameter, and with all that real estate underneath the cap it paid respect
with the 'inverse-squared' law that all high voltage circuits follow. So when the design engineers not only made
the Vortec dizzy cap smaller, but at the same time complicated the internal routing from rotor/terminal to
actual spark plug wire, they put a lot more pressure on the insulator material that the cap was made out of.

Final thought:

* '88-'95 TBI V8s ran a .035" spark plug gap per the factory sticker. Nice and quiet over there.

* '96+ Vortec V8s were originally spec'd a .060" spark plug gap. And made more horsepower with better
cylinder filling from the same CID, which again pushes up the KV needed to jump the bigger gaps in the
combustion chamber.

Mil-Spec solution:

Best cap you can buy, .045" gaps on your plugs, and suck out the ozone per L31MaxExpress's recommendation.

Do this, and your dizzy cap will no longer be the LIMFAC (LIMiting FACtor) in your engine bay's reliability.

The next best solution for normal owners who aren't pushing their GMT400 V8s like L31MaxExpress is doing? It would
be to use the best vented cap & the .045" spark plug gaps. And give your dizzy cap a good visual inspection on a
regular basis.

How about this? If your engine is running well now, then treat it to a fresh cap and take the 'known good' spare, put it in
a quart freezer bag, and put in the glove box. Or maybe the bagged dizzy cap in a small cardboard box under the seat. Just
remember where you stashed it. For you might end up helping a fellow GMT400 owner stuck on the side of the road/at the
gas station with a sudden dizzy cap failure. You know, the Boy Scout credo. :0)

Hope this is helpful. Heck, I hope that it's readable. :)

Cheers --

Last edited:

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you, But .... again, Most of the discussion (including yours) focused on Vortec V8 caps (Not Vortec V6).
I have a good handle on failure modes (what, why, where, how etc) for V8 caps.

But my question is about V6 ... are the modes Identical ie the internal rerouting to ease routing for R & L banks? Is it same for V6 ... that the V6 Cap itself has the same internal crossover ?

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you, But .... again, Most of the discussion (including yours) focused on Vortec V8 caps (Not Vortec V6).
I have a good handle on failure modes (what, why, where, how etc) for V8 caps.

But my question is about V6 ... are the modes Identical ie the internal rerouting to ease routing for R & L banks? Is it same for V6 ... that the V6 Cap itself has the same internal crossover ?

Hello again rebelyell,

We don't seem to have the same traffic re: the V6 Vortec distributor caps. Part of this
may be due to more V8s purchased then V6s in the full-sized GMT400s? But your question
is a valid one. Given that the overall diameter is the same, is the V6 cap living an easier/less stressed
life because we are trying to fit 6 lbs of functionality into an 8 lb bag? Or is the V8 design trying to fit
8 lbs of functionality into a 6-lb bag?

I just googled a photo of the inside of a V6 Vortec cap, and here's what I saw:

You must be registered for see images attach

(Hint: Take a close look at the distance between the closest spark path for an individual cylinder vs the center conductor. Compare this to the same area in the V8 cap above.)

Note: In the car hobby it's all about the sparking. But in a previous life trying to keep high power radar systems reliable,
learned firsthand that arcing in the waveguide between transmitter and antenna was really bad juju. Ended up studying
this stuff more than normal folks. Eventually had better luck with the radar package...but at the same time less luck with
social chit-chat when attending parties. Seems that my fascination for this stuff is not shared by everyone? :0)

Disclaimer: I have never designed automotive ignition systems. But I can't help myself, I study them all, for gimpy ignition systems in the past
have misled me to fix on a lot of fuel delivery systems that had *no* issues. This is where I learned that it takes a -L O N G- time to
fix something that isn't broken. :-(

Anyway, check out the extra distance between the center conductor and the nearest individual cylinder spark path vis-a-vis the V8 cap
in reply #26. As one who was forced to understand the ramifications of the inverse-squared law when it came to high
power/high voltage electricity, I'm thinking that the V6 Vortec cap is a much less 'pushed by design' to the limits of readily available
insulator materials ignition systems component. I'll bet that they last longer...but when enough years of service accumulate, I'll also
bet that they still fail. Just with a lot more miles racked up on them combined with a lot less owner aggravation. :0)

That's all I got. I'll step aside and let actual V6 Vortec owners chime in with their firsthand experience.

Cheers --

Last edited:

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Hello again rebelyell,

That's all I got. I'll step aside and let actual V6 Vortec owners chime in with their firsthand experience.

Cheers --
I did, above lol. It's not a GMT400 V6 but they're all the same Vortec 262ci 98-07. The caps are just as much prone to failure but don't do so quite as often, as you said.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
? does anyone KNOW if there's an aftermarket (or OE) cap for Vortec (both V6 & V8) that is Not a "crab cap" and does NOT have an internal crossover ?
? A cap with a more conventional wire routing; But made to fit the Vortec design distributor housing ?

** FWIW, I'm familiar with 4-7 cam swaps in sbc and in circletrack racing classes that prohibit such FO swap cams ... and using aftermarket big cap HEI with aftermarket internal crossover caps in order to help mask (cheat) the motor having a 4-7 swap cam. ALL of those caps suck and have a high rate of failure; they were produced to aide R-L bank wire routing in conventional FO motors ... to help it look nice under hood. But then adopted (& adapted) by us 4-7 cheaters to make our wire routing look OE. I forgot the name of the small company that made them; IIRC Accel also did so briefly but soon bailed. They sucked; all of em. I'm now seeking the inverse of that; but made for Vortec distributors.