What is this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello gents,

I've studied the photo closely, and have come up with a couple of questions for Sean:

1) What is the state of your truck from the electrical perspective? Is everything except one or
two items working? Or is this a case where hardly anything is operational, making it harder to
associate a stray wire to a specific subsystem or function?

2) Not only does aged wiring harness colors fade over time, compounded by underhood heat,
etc, but when we take photos sometimes the colors will be even harder to discern due to washout,
spectrum shift of the ambient light source, etc.

I uploaded the photo, color-corrected the light source, and upped the color saturation a bit. From here,
the disconnected ring terminal wire in question looks to be a solid carrot color, as opposed to a faded red?
Making this a tough call is that both Red AND Orange is all over the Underhood Fuse Block schematics?

NOTE: IF Sean were to peel back part of the ring terminal, usually you can then see the
original unfaded color that has been covered up for all these years. This might be worth
the (small) amount of effort to uncover a small part of the wire.

3) This ring terminal has the factory look of something that the vehicle had when it came off of
the assembly line. Therefore, the likelihood that it is supposed to be connected to something
it can physically reach (as currently dressed) far outweighs a distant connection elsewhere
on the truck?

On the outboard side and lower than the Aux A and Aux B studs, there is a threaded
stud/nut assy on the fuse block that looks like it would be a perfect distance for that
ring terminal to go onto. Problem is, I would be very hesitant to reconnect it without first
figuring out what it feeds, and more importantly, what would have motivated the PO to
disconnect it in the first place?

You must be registered for see images attach

At any rate, please give this photo some careful scrutiny & share your thoughts.

And Sean, any history of what you've been dealing with, electrically-speaking, please
share, for it might give us an important clue.

Last edited:

FullBlowncustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello gents,

I've studied the photo closely, and have come up with a couple of questions for Sean:

1) What is the state of your truck from the electrical perspective? Is everything except one or
two items working? Or is this a case where hardly anything is operational, making it harder to
associate a stray wire to a specific subsystem or function?

2) Not only does aged wiring harness colors fade over time, compounded by underhood heat,
etc, but when we take photos sometimes the colors will be even harder to discern due to washout,
spectrum shift of the ambient light source, etc.

I uploaded the photo, color-corrected the light source, and upped the color saturation a bit. From here,
the disconnected ring terminal wire in question looks to be a solid carrot color, as opposed to a faded red?
Making this a tough call is that both Red AND Orange is all over the Underhood Fuse Block schematics?

NOTE: IF Sean were to peel back part of the ring terminal, usually you can then see the
original unfaded color that has been covered up for all these years. This might be worth
the (small) amount of effort to uncover a small part of the wire.

3) This ring terminal has the look of something that the vehicle had when it came off of
the assembly line. Therefore, the likelihood that it is supposed to be connected to something
it can physically reach (as currently dressed) far outweighs a distant connection elsewhere
on the truck?

On the outboard side and lower than the Aux A and Aux B studs, there is a threaded
stud/nut assy on the fuse block that looks like it would be a perfect distance for that
ring terminal to go onto. Problem is, I would be very hesitant to reconnect it without first
figuring out what it feeds, and more importantly, what would have motivated the PO to
disconnect it in the first place?

At any rate, please give this photo some careful scrutiny & share your thoughts.

And Sean, any history of what you've been dealing with, electrically-speaking, please
share, for it might give us an important clue.
Interesting.... Correct they don't look faded..

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

To illustrate what I was trying to describe, I've attached a couple (of the several) wiring
diagram pages for the Underhood Fuse Block. (See attachments.)

As you can see, it could easily go either way. And again I'd like to emphasize that
I would *not* connect that loose ring terminal wire to anything without first knowing
a lot more about what it is connected to on the other end...

Attachments

• Red wiring for Underhood Fuse Block p8-351 -- 99 Chevrolet & GMC CK Truck SM - Vol. 3 & 4.jpg
    Red wiring for Underhood Fuse Block p8-351 -- 99 Chevrolet & GMC CK Truck SM - Vol. 3 & 4.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Orange wiring, p 8-355, for Underhood Fuse Block - 99 Chevrolet & GMC CK Truck SM - Vol. 3 & 4.jpg
    Orange wiring, p 8-355, for Underhood Fuse Block - 99 Chevrolet & GMC CK Truck SM - Vol. 3 & 4.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 9

Sean Sills

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I truly appreciate the time that each of you have invested with my "ghost" wire. Tomorrow, I will try and peel back and determine it's color. I will post a picture. I am truly baffled. I will also take some close up photos for your examination. PS...I damn sure not connecting it to anything without first knowing it's origin.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What truck is this? Year , model? My 96 K1500 does not have that ORANGE wire. FWIW, all my RED wires are still red.

Sean Sills

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here you go guys. It is orange.