What is this small brake part? 1997 Chevy 1500 express

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iconn

Reaction score
I have two pictures here. One is a layout of the old parts. I sure wish the FSR actually had better pictures of how these parts fit together. Unfortunately I started on the passenger side first. The part is the shiny gold colored part in the second picture (not the arm). It looks like a ninja death spinning wheel. I will try and figure it out from the driver's side. Thanks!
You must be registered for see images attach

Little shiny piece here:

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I have two pictures here. One is a layout of the old parts. I sure wish the FSR actually had better pictures of how these parts fit together. Unfortunately I started on the passenger side first. The part is the shiny gold colored part in the one picture. I will try and figure it out from the driver's side. Thanks!

Little shiny piece here:
I think that's part of the adjuster levers, but not entirely sure. The half ton pickups use a different style of drum brakes than the Suburban does. But from my parts store days, I think that's what it is. Especially since it seems to be marked as side specific.
If you got a brake hardware kit, it should have all new pieces in it.

sweetk30

c3500-HD
Reaction score
Clips in on top of the BIG shinny arm in pic #1 .

Exactly why doing drum brakes 1 side at a time as its a reversed mirror copy side to side .

Iconn

Reaction score
I think that's part of the adjuster levers, but not entirely sure. The half ton pickups use a different style of drum brakes than the Suburban does. But from my parts store days, I think that's what it is. Especially since it seems to be marked as side specific.
If you got a brake hardware kit, it should have all new pieces in it.
Thanks. There were three packages. What you see is the right side package on the bottom picture in the yellow pan. The springs are in a common package. It sure would be nice if the FSR had more detail. It does not show that little ninja star wheel!

MadChevy

Reaction score
Thanks all. It does go into the adjuster lever at the top.
Hi Iconn.

That is part of the adjusting lever.

Did you have any luck finding instructions on the sequence of putting them together.

I was getting youtube certified when I discovered half way into mounting that I was following the wrong directions. It seems that all the youtube videos are for a different setup.

I apparently have the same setup as you and the FSR is crap for directions on it.

I did get the drivers side finally put together after trial and error put the 1 spring that goes to that connector was a b----.

If you know where to get pictures or directions, please let me know before I tackle the passenger side.

As stated earlier, 1 side at a time.

Thanks