What is this plug, and issues with idle.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elhorn

Reaction score
That makes a lot of since. It was running rich, so much so you could smell it. It's still got the cats on it, so that was surprising. I do home it gets better economy, too, it was running less than 12 MPG before! That's pretty bad!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Schurkey, I wasn't aware of a scan tool for OBD1,
I run into this alot. And it always surprises me. Starting in 1980 1/2, dealership techs needed a scan tool to fix what were then "new" cars.

do you have a recommendation for such a tool?
I use a Snap-On MT2500 and dig it.
Me, too. The ancient Red Brick. They quit supporting them in 2009, and they quit making them before that.

When my '2500 dies, I'll likely find a somewhat newer Snap-On scan tool (Solus Pro--Solus Ultra, maybe) but there's plenty of choices. "I" would rather have a used "professional-grade" scan tool than a brand-new "consumer-grade" tool.

Sometimes a consumer-grade tool will only read the engine computer. Professional-grade tools should read engine, trans, ABS, air bag, instrument cluster, etc.

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
Glad you got it figured out. BTW, the connector you found is for 4wd models - it goes to the front axle solenoid switch and the ABS system. The wiring is there on our 2wd trucks, but disconnected. Just tuck 'er away!

Elhorn

Reaction score
I never would've thought that. Thanks for letting me know what that plug was for, I was worried it was to something important.

You guys are awesome, thank you so much for the assistance.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
...When my '2500 dies, I'll likely find a somewhat newer Snap-On scan tool (Solus Pro--Solus Ultra, maybe) but there's plenty of choices. "I" would rather have a used "professional-grade" scan tool than a brand-new "consumer-grade" tool.

Sometimes a consumer-grade tool will only read the engine computer. Professional-grade tools should read engine, trans, ABS, air bag, instrument cluster, etc.
I was thinking of doing the same, they're backwards compatible then? Since my brick still works I haven't researched any of the models that followed, I see Eric O. on SMA using a Solus but the one he has is still pretty spendy.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My son has the Solus Ultra and has a maintenance contract with Snap On (~$46/Month) so he still gets hardware and software updates even though it is no longer made. Still scans OBDI and just about all brands OBDIIs

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Hmm. Seems a bloke would spend anywhere from $1,100 - 1,800 on one of those right now. I got my brick for $300, that's what I'd like to spend next time I need to replace it.