What is this? And do I need it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1997 C1500 with a 4.3 auto

What is the box in the pic? I'm guessing some type of fuel tank purge valve charcoal emission container? Does it even belong in my truck? I'm guessing it no longer functions as intended or isn't for my particular truck since the wires to the connector have been snipped and I can't find a connector or any loose wires that would have gone to it. There is a valve in the intake manifold at the end of one of the two small hoses.

I bought my truck used from a car dealer so not much of its mysterious history is known, but at one time it had some front end damage as evidenced by new bumper brackets, grill, core support, A/C coil, and fresh paint. My guess is the front fenders are new also. Because of all this it makes me wonder if this piece even belongs?

You must be registered for see images attach

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks like an old style electric trailer brake controller (Kelsey Hayes made all kinds of trailer brake stuff). Is it connected to your brake line(s)? We had a few of them years ago, but ours had a T in the brake line and ran that line up into the cab where the controller was mounted under the dash so, if I wanted to trailer brake (more than normal) I could just slide the controller arm more and the brakes would grab more.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
That looks like an old style electric trailer brake controller (Kelsey Hayes made all kinds of trailer brake stuff). Is it connected to your brake line(s)? We had a few of them years ago, but ours had a T in the brake line and ran that line up into the cab where the controller was mounted under the dash so, if I wanted to trailer brake (more than normal) I could just slide the controller arm more and the brakes would grab more.

The box I think you're referring to is the abs module. He's referring to the box with three lines and a two wire connector just below (in the pic) it.

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion... yes, the Kelsey Hays piece is for the ABS.

The emission part I'm not sure about is circled in red with the valve and cut wire connector circled in purple

You must be registered for see images attach

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Evap canister and evap vent solenoid

Thanks! Do you know if it's the correct one for the truck? I can't find any wiring for the vent solenoid, and looking at how the wiring on the connector is cut it looks suspiciously like a pick-and-pull part or something from another vehichle.

Chewy11B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes that is definitely required on anything after 1996. It pulls the fuel vapors and reburns it In the combustion chamber.

Do you have a check engine light on?

Probably throwing code for vent solenoid.