What cam for single cab 2WDshortbed with new L31R

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Correct, the OE chain was link style. so do you you think this setup would definately benefit from a 4.3L TC ? I'm assuming thsi is the same as the TC I can buy on Rockauto for a 1996 s10 ??

I'm confirming I've got 3.42 rearend, and planning to go back with factory intake. Upgrades include the delphi spider and coil on cylinder ignition.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Correct, the OE chain was link style. so do you you think this setup would definately benefit from a 4.3L TC ? I'm assuming thsi is the same as the TC I can buy on Rockauto for a 1996 s10 ??

I'm confirming I've got 3.42 rearend, and planning to go back with factory intake. Upgrades include the delphi spider and coil on cylinder ignition.

The 4.3 converter would be a huge improvement. I have used them behind stock TBIs and Vortecs even. Should stall around 2,600-2,800 rpm.

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can you throw me a part number, or recommend a manufacturer? Are you guys using an OE model ?

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought 2 generic ones off ebay over the yrs - was less than $200 new as I recall for the 700r 4.3 V6 application......

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ended up going with a B&M torque master converter, stall is at 2,000rpm. My plan is to get the engine installed this weekend. I will keep the updates coming. Only other item I need to tackle is running the wires to the 0411 pcm for the coil on plug ignition.

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok, engine is in the truck and running; but not very well. It idles rough, and smells like its running very rich. I sent a datalog to Justin at Black Bear, and he reported back that it shows misfiring on driver side cylinder bank under load. I've confirmed rock solid 58psi fuel pressure at idle; and I'm showing 14-15 inches of mercury for idle vacuum. So far, I cannot find a vacuum leak. I've not gotten a check engine light, but I'm getting a P0463 DTC; which looks to be related to the fuel sending unit in the tank.

Another weird thing, I am unable to monitor the CMPRET PID (camshaft offset retard) thru my autocal. Previous to adding the 24x ignition, I was able to monitor and adjust CMPRET to 0 degrees using the autocal and EFI Live. I can add the CMPRET PID and monitor it, but it stays at 0degrees no matter what. Yes, I'm revving engine to nearly 2000rpm.

When I rotate the distributor, the idle characteristics don't change at all. Seems like something is not right.

Any ideas ?

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
went ahead and pulled spark plugs and did compression test. All plug electrodes have a neon greenish tint to them, and all cylinders are showing 165psig compression. The fuel in the tank is about 8 months old. I will try draining the tank and filling with fresh fuel tmrw. would be nice if my problem was simply old fuel.

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
fuel was not the issue. I'm still not able to monitor CMPRET (camshaft retard offset) via EFILive, which I cannot figure out. I'm able to add the PID to the autocal, and datalog - but CMPRET stays at 0 degrees no matter what the rpm.

I have to feather the throttle to get it to start, and then it idles roughly. The idle does NOT change when I unplug the camshaft pos sensor. I'm getting 12volts to the sensor, and I even replaced the cam pos sensor today just to be sure.

Any ideas here ?

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update - I decided to replace all the components that could possibly be causing the misfires, spider injector assy, fuel filter, spark plugs, and O2 sensors. Also cleaned the MAF with spray cleaner. Truck is running pretty good. No more DTC's or misfiring, but startup and idle is rough. I'm still working with Blackbear to adjust the tune since I replaced these components. I have to say the Autocal tool is a pretty cool, I just wish I knew how to maximize its use. I'm pretty good at the wrenching part, but my lack of tuning skills is severly limiting progress on the project now the the engine is back in the truck.

I found out that the camshaft offset retard is a low resolution PID, and not part of the 24x parameters; so no fine tuning of distributor orientation once you upgrade to 24x ignition.

So far, I'm liking all the engine and drivetrain upgrades. Its been quite a learning experience, and still is continuing. I will post more pics shortly and will try to post up vids as well. The truck does sound pretty good, not too quiet and not too obnoxious. For the exhaust, I already had Thorley Tri-Ys, and went with true dual 2.5" thru high flow cats, and a single magnaflow muffler with internal xpipe. I'm liking it. cheers and have a great weekend.