What cam for single cab 2WDshortbed with new L31R

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update - I decided to replace all the components that could possibly be causing the misfires, spider injector assy, fuel filter, spark plugs, and O2 sensors. Also cleaned the MAF with spray cleaner. Truck is running pretty good. No more DTC's or misfiring, but startup and idle is rough. I'm still working with Blackbear to adjust the tune since I replaced these components. I have to say the Autocal tool is a pretty cool, I just wish I knew how to maximize its use. I'm pretty good at the wrenching part, but my lack of tuning skills is severly limiting progress on the project now the the engine is back in the truck.

I found out that the camshaft offset retard is a low resolution PID, and not part of the 24x parameters; so no fine tuning of distributor orientation once you upgrade to 24x ignition.

So far, I'm liking all the engine and drivetrain upgrades. Its been quite a learning experience, and still is continuing. I will post more pics shortly and will try to post up vids as well. The truck does sound pretty good, not too quiet and not too obnoxious. For the exhaust, I already had Thorley Tri-Ys, and went with true dual 2.5" thru high flow cats, and a single magnaflow muffler with internal xpipe. I'm liking it. cheers and have a great weekend.

Camshaft offset is absolutely available on 24x. You can look at it on an LS to verify cam timing. Done it numerous times and adjusted my 24x L31 and 383 with it.

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting. Using EFILive, I tried add the CMPRET PID. It went, but it only reads 0 degrees no matter what RPM. Justin at BB told me it was no longer important as CMPRET is a low resolution signal. I've been working with them for a few about a month trying to get it to run right. I'm not getting any DTCs, but startup and idle is rough. Everywhere but idle and startup it seems to run pretty good. Only other thing is that at WOT acceleration on the highway, like up to 100mph or so - it was turning 4500rpm. Like it wouldn't shift to 4th or the TC wouldn't lock up, I could not tell.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
4L60 is not programmed for a WOT 3-4 upshift, you have to make it do that in the tune. If you dare.

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your saying that at WOT, the tranny will not shift from 3rd to 4th ? I don't remember this being the case before these upgrades.

Do you know what I might need to due to be able to ready the CMPRET PID and adjust the distributor/cam pos sensor ?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
All 700R4 and 4L60 trannies will not perform a WOT upshift. For your truck the tune will need to be altered to achieve this. In the absence of tuning software, I think the torque app will do it. Give that a search on here, it's been discussed many times.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In the absence of tuning software, I think the torque app will do it. Give that a search on here, it's been discussed many times.

This is the first I've heard of Torque being able to alter PCM behavior at all, I thought it was read only software?

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Quick Update - I'm still going back and forth with BB regarding the startup and idle quality. BB is also seeing a random misfire on passenger bank, which is not registering as a DTC. Currently I have swapped the O2 sensors around to see if the misfire changes banks, and sent the datalog to BB. I'm not seeing any misfire when I look at the PIDs, but Justin tells me its there.

I'm was having issue with cold startup in that engine did not want to start without pedal. When engine was hot, A/C off; and in Drive - IAC steps were 110-120. Engine Hot, AC off, in Park - IAC counts were 100. When driving, IAC step maxxed out at 208 steps during hard excelleration.

I read about the TB blade screw to crack the blade open for more air at startup to get IAC steps down. I tried this and reset the TPS to where it showed 0% open. This still would not adequately provide cold startup ability, so I drilled out the existing hole on the stock TB blade one drill size. This, along with TB blade being cracked open a much as possible by the adjustment screw allowed for much better cold startup without pedal. Engine hot, AC off, and in Park - IAC count is 50-60 steps.

My hot engine startups are still shaky for first 10 seconds of running. Does it sound like I've got IAC step count more in line with where it needs to be ? and, does it sound like I've still got an issue with startup fueling ?

Justin at BB tells me that with 24x ignition, the distributor does NOT need to be dialed in for CMPRET, as fueling and timing run off the crank reluctor wheel. Being that the engine runs so well off idle and at WOT - I can't see where not dialing the distributor orientation in is causing any issue. Thanks, Mike