Wanting to throw the original radio back in my truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
BOOOOOM!!!! Lol right on bro! I so badly want the custom aux put in my stock Bose radio a guy on here in another thread said there’s a guy who does that he’s on eBay but the dude hasn’t sent me a link to the guy! Not putting anyone on blast just saying what it is lol! I have a rocking and classy home system that is way better than any car radio I’ve heard! Just having bass doesn’t qualify as better that’s just noise pollution! Idk if you saw that I put that to have clear’er sound put iPhone eq to bass reducer it really helps adjust everything then you just need to adjust your radio bass and all is good. Here’s my set up at my old house I made the receiver stand still not completed work in progress lol and did wiring for tv and speakers in wall.

You must be registered for see images attach

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Yep. For years I did the car audio thing while ignoring stuff like noise floor, sensitivity and distortion only to be blown away by what started out with JBL LX44's powered by some free H/K receiver I got. Get yourself a set of JBL L150A's, two Adcom GFA 555 II's and a Adcom GFP 555 or Marantz 3600 and enjoy & appreciate true stereo imaging. That's how music is supposed to sound, none of this "boom-boom tizz-sizzle-tizz" & rattle flappity flap, expansion joint clap & wind noise you get while driving around...

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'll never spend serious money on a car system ever again. For <$1500, you can build a system in your house that will blow away whatever you put in a car. First and foremost, if you aren't sitting in the center to listen, it's already a wash.

I still have a soft spot for car audio and there have been some incredible advancements in the last 15 years (automatic EQ and time alignment being the main two IMO) but this is so true. I spent $3K+ on the system in my red truck and I've got around $1500 in my home system. The home system blows the truck away. My main home speakers (Klipsch Heresys) were built in 1986 and are based on 1950s technology, I found them used in a trailer park in Kansas City for $450. Another $150 to update the crossovers and they sound better than anything you could buy new on the market today for under $2K.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I maintain that my truck will NEVER be as good as my house. I didn't spend much on the house stuff even - most of it is cobbled together from local estate sales LOL. But it will always outdo anything I could put in the truck.

Cadillac Bob

Reaction score
Yes there have been lots of advancements in car audio. but we’re also talking about cars that have thousands of dollars in R&D. plus super high tech rotating,rising up,self adjusting speakers that should be great they’re cutting edge lol!! but when an average person comes along to upgrade they’re old system I feel like your always left in the same box that just slap in new where the old was jam lots of power and yes you do have more sound. but!!!! Is it the right sound or good sound quality sound? Most of the time I’m not putting my money on that horse! Lol not to knock anyone just what if you want high end audio in an older ride? Where do you go not all companies that have systems in certain cars sell systems for other vehicles that’s the box that I’m talking about. Like naim,revel,bespoke,and akg which if I have my current gmt400 Escalade till the newest one has enough crashed that speakers are available out of it. I’ll see about replacing mine with those. But not 19-38 systems like they have but the basic six plus now the tweeters 8 and maybe a couple extra to up the sound but I’ll have to do my own R&D as were to put the extra speakers in the cabin.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes there have been lots of advancements in car audio. but we’re also talking about cars that have thousands of dollars in R&D. plus super high tech rotating,rising up,self adjusting speakers that should be great they’re cutting edge lol!!

Just FYI I was referring to aftermarket systems, not new factory stuff. The auto EQ and time alignment features I mentioned have been standard in high end Pioneer head units since the early 2000s. They come with a little microphone that you loop around the drivers headrest and plug into the radio. Then you start the test, get out, and shut the door. About five minutes and lots of weird noises later, the head unit has automatically determined the distance of each speaker from the listening position and adjusted the audio signal accordingly so all the sound reaches your ears at the same time. Plus eliminating any large peaks and valleys in the EQ. It's neat stuff.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I still have a soft spot for car audio and there have been some incredible advancements in the last 15 years (automatic EQ and time alignment being the main two IMO) but this is so true. I spent $3K+ on the system in my red truck and I've got around $1500 in my home system. The home system blows the truck away. My main home speakers (Klipsch Heresys) were built in 1986 and are based on 1950s technology, I found them used in a trailer park in Kansas City for $450. Another $150 to update the crossovers and they sound better than anything you could buy new on the market today for under $2K.

Pitting my JBL L150A's against a beat, beat, beat set of Klipsch Cornwalls gave me a PhD in the Importance of Efficiency haha. I had upgraded to a Marantz 3600 pre amp & Marantz 510M power amp. But 300 watts RMS just wasn't enough to rattle my ear drums properly with the JBL's. but whoa damn, those Klipsch's loved every watt. They just didn't have the refinement, articulation or as deep & tight bass the L150A's gave me. When I got the Adcom GFA 555 II's and bridged them, whoa yea. They came alive with 600 watts alright. The "Cornholes" have been put in the garage, and I'll probably toss one of the GFA 555 II's out there to run them. Main system is currently evolving- going to try Crown Pro Audio stuff and see where that takes me..

But the Cornwalls were so enjoyable that I went on a Klipsch kick for a minute. Bought and tried Forte I's, II's and am still looking for Chorus II's.

Last edited:

Cadillac Bob

Reaction score
Yes I know exactly what you mean my onkyo to-929 does that same thing! But in the house lol. I’m just saying that in order to get more or better or melody doing some extra R&D might be better worth of time finding out thee best spots for speaker locations just might take more time to get the job done.? Since gm put tweeters up on the A pillars afterwards not that it’s night and day sound. My old 01 STS had tweeters facing up and slightly inward towards seats and you could tell 100% if one was covered up or not working! Even installing that Bose system 425watts 1ohm would be banging and be loud enough for just about anyone! Id play whoa by black rob and it really bumped slight thump outside the car but if you opened up a door or window it was like damn son a whole concert going on inside of the car lol!!! But that still might not be the ideal spot for extra or relocated tweeters/speakers. And has anyone ever tried putting newer interior A pillars from a 800/900’s into a 400? Just to see I know that one guy is making a 2 door Escalade from a 90’s Tahoe to a 07-14 Escalade but that’s a Unser mountable task his took on but I hope it works out great!

You must be registered for see images attach

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you plan on keeping your truck for any amount of time or maybe handing it down.( my son wants the wants the little 383 90 stepside) . Get a good Chilton service manual , 500 page one, or at Rock Auto $ 20 for your year Factory Service manuals PDF CD. Then if your gonna swap radio's or wiring. And you suck at soldering. The plugs male and female, are not factory unique. They are are becoming an industry standard. The new OTC reciever/ cd/ mp3/ blah, blah units, have DIN standards plugs. Get a Scoche, or Metra adapter no chopping involved. Over years GM has issued service letters about radio problems of poor quality control on radio antenna wiring connections soldering. GM ordered antenna and connecting wire replaced with better. One of those things that showed after being service.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depending on how easy or hard you may think, the Weatherpak and Weathertite, Deutsche, connectors are here to stay. Yeah i had to buy another couple of tools, but the advantages far outweigh that investment. Installing a new plug or changing plug is only 2 or 3 tools. Their will allways be areas or task s that call for soldering and shrink tube or other squeeze connectors. So my sons friend put original radio back in truck. Got original plugs for factory radio, but instead of unpinning plug and squeeze some new pins insert, plug and done. He cobbled a mess of connectors about 4 " in diameter. Yeah i got the " uh dad could you look at this, there's something wrong". So yeah i fixed it, now i have big favor owed. All I'm trying to say i guess is don't be so quick with diagonal pliers.