Wanting to throw the original radio back in my truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CorvairGeek

Reaction score
It stands for Control Data Unit. Turner and amp, or just pre-amp with Bose systems. Not unique to trucks, and some were integrated into 1.5 DIN head units. Cadillac's even had the CDU in the trunk!

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Jumping into this thread rather late but, my stock radio, cassette deck sounds awful, even after I replaced my front speakers with those $100 4x6 speakers recommended on another thread. when I use the cassette adaptor from my phone, its even worse. Plus the AM setting has a lot of static when i turn on my new LED running lights. I remember reading something about doing something under the hood with the antenna or antenna connections to clean things up? I like things stock, so I hate to replace the radio, can it be fixed by anyone?
Get a 4 channel amp and 4 channel LOC and use the headunit to feed the amp and amp to feed the speakers. I would have never in the last 25 year of Installing pulled a factory stereo out if they were worth a crap. Power is non-existent and usually functionality isn't even close to par. The worst part is,u can put $3k of amps/speakers behind a factory unit and it's still sound like crap, any MECP guy will tell u "**** in, **** out" . The ONLY way to keep your head unit and have it sound worth a damn is use a dsp of some sort. Think jl has a clean sweep dsp, it converts and fixes the crappy output from factory unit and turns it into nice clean output to feed an amp, the ur **** will sound good. I've seen sum cheaper dsp units with built in 50x4 amps, that would be ideal but who knows sound quality with some of the Chinese stuff. I'd recommend something like this. https://www.ebay.com/itm/392741036197

And for the led light issue u need ferride collars on the led bulb wire.mostly the ford's radios fuzz with led, haven't seen many chebbys do it. Don't know size of wire on ur leds but u need something like this,may have to find something more to size of the wire on ur lights but this is to show u what I'm talking about.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174334571946

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I see lots of questions and answers but nice white 94’ those newer stock wheels really help making it another level of nice! Stock Radios are going to have static no matter what!!! Since they are analog not digital as radio waves are now just like tv without cable. And I have the hook up that connects to stock radio harness that uses radio station 89.something I’ve forgotten. I have static also and I figured out that
“bass reducer” setting on my iPhone gives the best sound really clears up the highs as not to be muffled sounding then you just need to adjust your bass level. I’ll post pics later everyone’s on nap time here lol sorry if my post seems a little outta wack.
Get sum bass blockers on your speakers...about 120hz is good for the 4x6 sized speakers.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm a bass player, I need LOTS of bass so I have my bass eq to the top, but still doesn't give me enuff bass with the stock power, new speakers are good, but didn't give me much more bass. You all can have the treble.

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
Haha yeah it’s just I don’t own a soldering iron to properly put that together and the tweeters are running off the stock wiring for tweeters so I would only assume that it’s already set up for only tweeters output.? But I’m no expert on car wiring lol. Yeah I get the bass thang but melody is best when you crank up the volume and it just all gets louder and nothings missing as far as eq levels that’s what I like then the sound just washes over you and you have another level of music to enjoy! Plus if it’s letting everyone know what your listening to then they’ll know and copy your music since they’ll be able to actually hear the words too! Lol

Cadillac Bob

Reaction score
Cassette players sound is awful!!! Just jump between that and CD player it’s like watching tv in the 80’s-90’s vs today tv! No comparison much lower sound quality so even hooking up the best equipment into the tape deck won’t do you any better sounds which of course I’m just saying in the case you didn’t know but I’m sure you do. But that’s why that phase of tech “tape cassette with aux wire coming out” didn’t last long due to such poor sound quality. I had that set up long ago it’s just not good period. Sorry but aftermarket or figuring out a custom set up with stock radio is IMO only way to fix the sound.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haha yeah it’s just I don’t own a soldering iron to properly put that together and the tweeters are running off the stock wiring for tweeters so I would only assume that it’s already set up for only tweeters output.? But I’m no expert on car wiring lol. Yeah I get the bass thang but melody is best when you crank up the volume and it just all gets louder and nothings missing as far as eq levels that’s what I like then the sound just washes over you and you have another level of music to enjoy! Plus if it’s letting everyone know what your listening to then they’ll know and copy your music since they’ll be able to actually hear the words too! Lol
Most gm tweeters have a built in bass blocker on them, they usually run the front mid and tweeter in parallel. Don't hook a raw tweeter up without a passive cover or it'll cook...I usually use the mid wire to the cover supplied with the components u bought and then add wire to the tweeter.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm a bass player, I need LOTS of bass so I have my bass eq to the top, but still doesn't give me enuff bass with the stock power, new speakers are good, but didn't give me much more bass. You all can have the treble.
I got it ALL lol...have 1000 watts to kids and highs and 8000 to subs and thinking about another 1000 to doors, mids and highs r lacking still.

Cadillac Bob

Reaction score
Ok kool good to know lol. But in my pics I posted couple weeks ago I did nothing but hook up tweeters to stock wiring and have been rocking them hard For 2yrs without having a problem! Just saying lol but if you check out my media pics you’ll see what I’ve done. Bye no means crazy installation only wildness is the custom grills threw the wood! But check it out and let me know what you think!

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Cassette players sound is awful!!! Just jump between that and CD player it’s like watching tv in the 80’s-90’s vs today tv! No comparison much lower sound quality so even hooking up the best equipment into the tape deck won’t do you any better sounds which of course I’m just saying in the case you didn’t know but I’m sure you do. But that’s why that phase of tech “tape cassette with aux wire coming out” didn’t last long due to such poor sound quality. I had that set up long ago it’s just not good period. Sorry but aftermarket or figuring out a custom set up with stock radio is IMO only way to fix the sound.

Agreed. Although if a dude or dudette does the auxiliary input mod to their tape deck equipped GMT400, they are using the input and not the tape deck itself, like you would if you just bought a cassette adaptor thing. It's what I did to my stock system. Also, FM modulators are terrible, because FM is garbage. Best bet is the aux input mod for stock. Couple that with the updated CDM and Infinity plate 4x6's, good enough. I'll never spend serious money on a car system ever again. For <$1500, you can build a system in your house that will blow away whatever you put in a car. First and foremost, if you aren't sitting in the center to listen, it's already a wash.