Mods to make original radio/stereo sound better???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepwalker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello,

Is there a known path (parts list?, website, videos?) to enhance the audio of the existing original early OBS stereo's? Get it to sound 'pretty good' while maintaining the original head unit? Like using higher quality speakers, subwoofer install, etc. Or incorporate a different/better amp? My 89's got the highest level radio/Cassette/EQ. I'm not looking for award-winning audio, but something significantly better would be nice. Rather keep the original dash unit for originality sake.

Love to know if there are any sites/resources/videos available.

Thanks!!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
New speakers would definitely be an upgrade. I'm planning on doing that on my crew cab, once I'm back working regularly and can put aside some $$ for truck stuff.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So replacing the inner door panel, or door card. When bring it down to catch the window weatherstrip, it slipped and of course it poked a hole in the left speaker. $##&&$ !
So I found a nice set of " Kicker " 6 or 7 inch good for up to 150 watts, on Amazon. On sale for $ 30. What a difference!
They really made my stereo come alive, 95 Silverado x cab.
Good luck.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speakers are a good start.
Speakers plus sound deadener and other noise control products (‘MLV’ mass loaded vinyl, “dynamat” is a name brand for a foil backed butyl deadener product) is another good option in aging vehicles
If it’s not loud enough you’ll want an amplifier, but you’ll need an LOC (line output converter)

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This guy does a good job explaining things.
He’s also got toooons of videos from basic to advanced.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Being an '89 makes this a little tougher as the early interior trucks didn't get door speakers. Just tiny 4"x6"s in the dash and the rear pillars, so they're not going to be much good for bass no matter how nice they are. That said, you can do pretty well for mids/highs if you pick some with decent sensitivity and frequency response.

As mentioned, you could add a subwoofer. You could also add a set of 6.5" speakers in kick panels in front of the doors. (@Wh4t3v3rs could probably build you a set) Both of these would require a line output converter or amplifiers with speaker-level inputs.

Jeepwalker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the links and ideas. I would definitely be open to adding a subwoofer, and better cab speakers too (initially). Then, possibly door/kick panel speakers. But then I'd need an amp to run all that stuff (which I'm not opposed to). I may upgrade in phases and evaluate how it sounds and decide if I need to bump it up a notch. I'll check out the videos.

I also ran across these older forum posts. IDK if they add anything new to the great info above, but may provide a couple morsels of info, if other people are looking to upgrade.

Any other ideas, keep them coming! :waytogo: