Vote TBI vs SFI sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My buddys 91 is bad to the bone and the tbi has a pop and rattle and echo to it..

My 96 is SFI and it has little to no popping or anything it just sounds like one long smooth hollow hum of performance. Theres a huge difference..

Just wondering which is everyones favorite and or if im the only one who notices a difference.

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Or if its even related to the method of aspiration? We both had flowmaster single in dual out, mines different now but theres still a difference

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I LOVE my TBI and TRUE duals 2.25" piping w/ cats no mufflers. IMO TBI's keep a little more of that old school sbc 350 sound to them just deep and throaty. I designed my exhaust with true duals because I like it to crackle and pop at higher rpm's when I really want it to.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
I LOVE my TBI and TRUE duals 2.25" piping w/ cats no mufflers. IMO TBI's keep a little more of that old school sbc 350 sound to them just deep and throaty. I designed my exhaust with true duals because I like it to crackle and pop at higher rpm's when I really want it to.

Lol Jesus. I'll see if I can dig up an older video of my 5.7L when it was cammed with a single 3" Magnaflow system dumped under the bed. I still maintain you should have someone else drive it so you can listen to what it really sounds like.

Personally I don't know what in the world you guys are talking about. Every GenI or GenII engine I've ever heard sounded the exact same from an exhaust point of view. Any difference in cab sound is attributed to sound deadening and air intake.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally I don't know what in the world you guys are talking about. Every GenI or GenII engine I've ever heard sounded the exact same from an exhaust point of view. Any difference in cab sound is attributed to sound deadening and air intake.

This. Blocks and heads are nearly identical, same exhaust (port and manifold wise), same firing order. If you use the same size pipe and mufflers, with the same routing, the tone should be identical (barring chop from a bigger cam). It's the intake noises that will be the biggest difference, with the TBI sounding more like a carb. If you've got a good video of your truck cutting up, post it!

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lol Jesus. I'll see if I can dig up an older video of my 5.7L when it was cammed with a single 3" Magnaflow system dumped under the bed. I still maintain you should have someone else drive it so you can listen to what it really sounds like.

Oh I already know exactly what it sounds like and it's music to MY ears. It gets a little too loud up around 3500 rpms so I've been looking at adding some dyno bullets but anything below that the tone and crackle I LOVE. Anything that has a deep steady tone to it just bores me to death. I can't stand the drone since I had a SI/DO cat a while and it got soo old.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hate the fart crackle & pop from most of the redneck exhausts around here. You usually only hear it on decel with manual transmissions though. I haven't heard mine do that yet, but I've been real easy on it since the 5spd swap. I hope it doesn't sound like ****, I'm not sure exactly what causes it...but I figure my converter has to help.

On the other hand though, my Camaro has 3" dual with x-pipe, no cats and chambered mufflers and doesn't do it. But a nasty cam always makes exhaust sound better.