Vortec knocks when cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
Mine did that and it turns out I was running too thick oil. I put the recommended 5w30 in it and haven't heard a knock or tap since.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Mine did that and it turns out I was running too thick oil. I put the recommended 5w30 in it and haven't heard a knock or tap since.

That is common. Never run thick oil because you think a high mileage motor needs it. An engine needs oil volume much, much more than oil pressure. Thick oil might raise your pressure, but its only reducing the volume and pushing less through the system.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Mine does it, but just for 5-10 seconds right when i start driving and then stops. Only when its cold out and only on acceleration though, not at idle after I start it

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Burb will do it for a few seconds when she's cold, a nice tap-tap-tap. Oil pressure is great and no metallic bits in the oil, so I roll on...

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
I don't believe it'll hurt it if it's only doing it for a little bit. Mine started doing it a few months ago when I start it in the early a.m.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
I don't believe it'll hurt it if it's only doing it for a little bit. Mine started doing it a few months ago when I start it in the early a.m.

A little bit, no. But he is saying 3 minutes, that will probably require attention sooner than later. It very would could be a loud injector, though. Try using a bottle of Lucas upper cyl lube.

Swaggerwagon

¯\(°_o)/¯
Reaction score
like most others in here, i have a 5-10 second knock at cold start up(only in the winter months)...then she's good to go...

and +1 to if it's knocking for 3 minutes, then you have a motor fixing to go down on you...better be finding a replacement or rebuild soon...