Vortec big block questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"I" would endeavor to at least find, if not correct, any running problems BEFORE you rip the engine out of the vehicle for extensive service.

Otherwise, you'll get the "new, rebuilt" engine re-installed, it still may not run right because of some as-yet-undiscovered root problem, and you risk screwing up the rebuilt engine due to a faulty ignition system, faulty fuel system, faulty exhaust system, failed ECM, corroded wiring connectors, or whatever the problem(s) turn out to be.

OTOH, if you can say with certainty that the two misfiring cylinders also have poor valve seal, or oil-fouled plugs, or whatever, you stand a chance at correcting the problem during the overlhaul.

Keep looking!

8T7K5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
"I" would endeavor to at least find, if not correct, any running problems BEFORE you rip the engine out of the vehicle for extensive service.

Otherwise, you'll get the "new, rebuilt" engine re-installed, it still may not run right because of some as-yet-undiscovered root problem, and you risk screwing up the rebuilt engine due to a faulty ignition system, faulty fuel system, faulty exhaust system, failed ECM, corroded wiring connectors, or whatever the problem(s) turn out to be.

OTOH, if you can say with certainty that the two misfiring cylinders also have poor valve seal, or oil-fouled plugs, or whatever, you stand a chance at correcting the problem during the overlhaul.

Keep looking!
Engine is already out though. It was taken out to make it easier to replace the flexplate, oil pan gasket, and drill out/helicoil the broken starter bolt. The 2 misfires were the issue I was chasing prior to pulling it but I had to stop because the starter misalignment issue needed to be corrected. Everything in the fuel system minus the fuel pump is new but fuel pressure is within spec including a new injector harness. Everything in the ignition system has been replaced or will be replaced upon putting the engine back in, including a new cap with all brass contacts to (hopefully) eliminate any potential cross firing which I've heard is common with the Vortec caps.