Valve seals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The last seals I put on were Viton. But they went onto aftermarket heads. They came with a little condom to slide over the top of the valve stem so the seal lip doesn't hang up on the keeper groove.

I wouldn't be too scared to use OEM-style seals from Fel-Pro or Mahle or any other major supplier. I'd avoid "Teflon/PTFE", however.

Watch the rocker tips/pushrod seats/fulcrums, I see lots of worn ones. Keep everything in order so it all gets installed in the same place as it was. Verify the valve tips, too.

Good time to wiggle the valves in their guides to assess guide wear. Don't drop the valve into the cylinder. Helps to have each piston at TDC as you do each pair of valves.

I just got Vitons for my engine project.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
...and it assumes that the defect is visible. They entomb a part in opaque plastic wrap, you open the plastic...now it's non-returnable. Or the defect is hidden inside of the assembly somewhere.

...and it assumes that the defect is visible. They entomb a part in opaque plastic wrap, you open the plastic...now it's non-returnable. Or the defect is hidden inside of the assembly somewhere.[/QUOTE
Yep. And it keeps getting worse every year.
Inspect what you can.
If you buy a starter or alternator or an ignition module etc..
Buy it from a store that can test it before you pay them.
If your local branch cant do it.
Order it for pickup at a store that can.
And never ever ever give up your GM cores. Get the core slip.
You dont have to give them your GM alternator or starter.
You can give them back ANY starter or alternator. Anything as long as it looks even somewhat rebuildable.
They dont know and they dont care either.
Even a crispy fried GM starter or alternator is probably rebuildable and still has good parts.
Always get to know the store manager.
The guy in charge can do **** for you that most employees cant do.
Look for the old guy. He might only be 28 but if hes managing a parts store he will look old.
Introduce yourself, remember his name, see if there is any car **** to be shot with them.
And give the little head bob "yup"
That maybe, could be a car guy.
But most of all, dont be an ass.
It always amazes me when I go to a bar or a restuarant and my car friends are all sweetness and light and friggen unicorns.
But they drop a turd on the girl behind the counter at Autozone..
This hobby, our hobby, our crazy knuckle busting bleeding passion.
Is going to die because of "gatekeeping"
Maybe they dont know **** about Chevy TBI, but maybe they can bust your balls on some Honda.
I bet they can.
Maybe they dont know **** all of anything.
Maybe us rotten old ***** should try a little harder to get them into all of this crazy **** we do instead of shutting them out.
I know, it has nothing to do with valve seals,
Except it has everything to do with valve seals

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ordered the fel-pro kits and they arrived yesterday. The exhaust kit is missing the seals, it only has the o-rings. Then while reading the contents list I noticed the made in communist china label. Where can I buy USA seals?

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ordered the fel-pro kits and they arrived yesterday. The exhaust kit is missing the seals, it only has the o-rings. Then while reading the contents list I noticed the made in communist china label. Where can I buy USA seals?

Now I’m really confused. My shop manual shows no seals on the exhaust valves, only o-rings. But the fel-pro china kit shows both, yet it was missing the seals.

You must be registered for see images attach

man-a-fre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you see my VTO seal post ? You asked for the best quality seals and I gave you the answer. I'll make it easier https://www.competitionproducts.com/searchprods.asp type in vto valve seals in search

Last edited:

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So Fel-Pro sent me the correct kit this time. The first package had only the o-rings, not the umbrellas.

I figured out that the factory setup was o-rings and seals on the intake valves. O-rings only on the exhaust valves. I’ve found many differing opinions on the exhaust seals. Some say to put both the umbrella and the o-ring. Some say just the o-ring. Some say just the umbrella. What do you guys recommend?

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
I used just the o-ring seals on mine. If you think about it the exhaust valve rotator has an umbrella. See part #22. Also the pressure from the exhaust will tend to force any oil back into the valve cover. UNLIKE the intake which tend to suck oil into the intake tract.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used just the o-ring seals on mine. If you think about it the exhaust valve rotator has an umbrella. See part #22. Also the pressure from the exhaust will tend to force any oil back into the valve cover. UNLIKE the intake which tend to suck oil into the intake tract.
Thank you. It would seem GM agrees with you as that was the factory setup.