Valve seals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Going to replace valve seals soon on my TBI 350. I’ve done this a few times over 20 years ago. What are the best seals currently available?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last seals I put on were Viton. But they went onto aftermarket heads. They came with a little condom to slide over the top of the valve stem so the seal lip doesn't hang up on the keeper groove.

I wouldn't be too scared to use OEM-style seals from Fel-Pro or Mahle or any other major supplier. I'd avoid "Teflon/PTFE", however.

Watch the rocker tips/pushrod seats/fulcrums, I see lots of worn ones. Keep everything in order so it all gets installed in the same place as it was. Verify the valve tips, too.

Good time to wiggle the valves in their guides to assess guide wear. Don't drop the valve into the cylinder. Helps to have each piston at TDC as you do each pair of valves.

man-a-fre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Go to Competition Products web site and get their ultimate duty vto valve seals, very high quality.Summit racing may carry them also. Or call them 1800 233 0199 .

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The seals you buy will depend upon the valve guide OD and the valve stem OD.

If he's getting Felpros he ought to be able to just buy by application. Steve I used Felpros back in 2015, they came in a top end gasket kit. I couldn't tell you the part number but they seem to be doing the trick.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whatever you buy, look them over really really really well.
I bought a set a couple of years ago and I think they sat on a shelf for 20 years.
Same goes with any seal or gasket or part these days.
Look it over real good before you put it in.
Dont let the kids try to rush you out of the place, take a cup of coffee, park your ass in a chair and check that **** out before you buy it.
This is why I dont buy internet parts.
Let the parts counter guy order that crap.
If its bad, and you inspected it, thats his problem.
If you buy it off the net to save a few bucks and its bad?
Now thats your problem.
And you get the uphill fight.
Go in and inspect your parts before you give them your cash.
Make them do their job and refuse anything that is not up to spec.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whatever you buy, look them over really really really well.
I bought a set a couple of years ago and I think they sat on a shelf for 20 years.
Same goes with any seal or gasket or part these days.
Look it over real good before you put it in.
Dont let the kids try to rush you out of the place, take a cup of coffee, park your ass in a chair and check that **** out before you buy it.
This is why I dont buy internet parts.
Let the parts counter guy order that crap.
If its bad, and you inspected it, thats his problem.
If you buy it off the net to save a few bucks and its bad?
Now thats your problem.
And you get the uphill fight.
Go in and inspect your parts before you give them your cash.
Make them do their job and refuse anything that is not up to spec.
Most auto parts stores here won't order parts without you paying for them ahead of time unless it's just a transfer from a different store.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...and it assumes that the defect is visible. They entomb a part in opaque plastic wrap, you open the plastic...now it's non-returnable. Or the defect is hidden inside of the assembly somewhere.