Updated Power Steering Cooler Install - need photos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I always assumed the PS cooler came on all of these trucks? Is that not the case?

I don't own anything older than a 99 though. My brother has a 90 C1500 and I think he said his doesn't have the PS cooler.

There was a thread a while back, and I don't know that anyone came up with a reason as to why some trucks didn't get it from the factory? Maybe I'm making that up?

My 97 Express van and my 99 Tahoe were both born without coolers. Both have factory coolers on them now.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a thread a while back, and I don't know that anyone came up with a reason as to why some trucks didn't get it from the factory? Maybe I'm making that up?
Yeah we did discuss that. My supposition was, since my 88 C1500 was a Californicate truck it came with a PS cooler, IDK?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah we did discuss that. My supposition was, since my 88 C1500 was a Californicate truck it came with a PS cooler, IDK?

My 88 C1500 had the towing package. My 98 appears to have come with all but the F44 package, it had the hitch, oil cooler, etc but no PS cooler. I think GM got stingy with that stuff in the later years.

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 98 had one in the frame. When I blew a hydro boost line, I abandoned it and replaced all lines. Replacement lines had a hose with a clamp, so I got an off the shelf cooler and mounted it to the radiator and drilled a couple holes for the lines through the fan shroud. Figured that getting fan air flow would be better at actually cooling an in the frame rail. Used double hose clamps and haven't had a leak yet.