Turbo?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Came across this. Seems to be decent $$$.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/pts/4277123160.html

I've been focusing on gathering parts for the 6.0 LS swap in my '98. I'd eventually like a 5.3 in the '97, but I've always had the idea of a hidden turbo on a 6 since I started messing with GMT400's. Not looking for excessive power gains, just a 'little more'. (Tim Taylor voice...MOAR POWA!...ooh, ooh!) Maybe 75-100hp? Is that a feasible amount?
When the 4.3 comes outa the '98, If it's not too messed up, that'll be the engine I'll be using.
I know NOTHING about turbo's, except for some book learning.
From what I understand, probably need to use some larger injectors, a custom cam, & definitely a tune. Anyone have some additional info about that?

So, my 'Q's are, before I go look at these, do any of you guys have some pointers on what to look for? Any ideas of what size/make/model would work best for this? How to check the bearings? Any other info on what to look for?

Thanks!

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
None of those turbo's are going to be ready to use. They'll all end up being cores to rebuild. Some of them might have good parts though. A lot of the DD's had early Borg Warner's. Checking the bearings are easy, spin it and move it in and out. Any play in the shaft and the bearings are junk. Maybe even the shaft. Besides that, just visually check the impeller/propeller and housings for cracks, nicks, dings, etc.

They're good turbo's, but maybe not in your application. Technology has come a long way. Get the brands and model #'s and I could be more help.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Thanks, Jack. Waiting for a reply from the ad. I'll ask what models they are.
Not in a big hurry. The '98 will have to be up & running before I tear into this. Saw the ad & thought, hmmm...
With the 4.3's cast crank & 2 bolt main, crazy power gains are outa the question. Just looking for 'a bit more'. Big hills around here & through to the interior. 50mph, in 3rd. gear, & my foot through the firewall going up some of those long climbs!

This a better way to go? Or am I just looking at junk parts & wasting my time?

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/pts/4298882979.html

Any recommendations as to what I should be looking for? Seems to me that a smaller turbo would spool up faster at lower rpm's, adding some low/mid range grunt. 4.3's don't make much power after about 4200-4500rpm. Adding boost at those rpm's = grenade!

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3.8T would be awesome. Check out syty.net and ask those guys. There's more knowledge about turbo 4.3L's there than anywhere I know of on the net.