Truck won't move in forward gears.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

norad848

Reaction score
Howdy. I've got a 96 GMC Sierra K1500 and it won't move in any forward gears. Reverse seems fine. But in drive it makes a very loud clanking/grinding sound and it gets louder under load and won't move forward. Any thoughts on this issue? Thank you in advance.

racnredneck

Reaction score
like I said its stripped. needs overhaul. ive done lots of them. upgrade to harden sun shell, new 3-4 clutched, clean out all metal. and replace forward sprag if broken. and probably be ok....

norad848

Reaction score
It's gonna get a complete overhaul. It's got a tad over 100K on it. And they weren't exactly easy miles. Thanks for the insight, guys.

norad848

Reaction score
UPDATE: The transmission guy at work got my trans torn down. 113K on this rebuild and he says it looks like a fresh rebuild. The print on the clutches from the factory was still on them. And only mild heat wear on the 2-3 clutch pack (I think). So now I'm going to look into my t-case (NP243C) and rear end.