Wont move more than 6 inches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Because he said it goes into gears like normal, and it'll start to move. In my experience (obviously not as much as yours) transmissions work or they don't. If the trans had failed it wouldn't drop into gear and it wouldn't move at all. Of course, I could be completely wrong...

Not if the driveshaft has bluetoothed it's connection inside the t-case...
My bluetooth been broked for a while.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
now you know how little my knowledge base is on t cases, haha. Ive rebuilt a couple of np205s but that's it...
i think the op should try 4wd lo or hi after moving the truck in neutral. But from a stop of course. If it instantly binds up that tells us more. With trans in gear and t case in neutral does the transmission make normal noise?

skahide

Reaction score
i think the op should try 4wd lo or hi after moving the truck in neutral. But from a stop of course. If it instantly binds up that tells us more. With trans in gear and t case in neutral does the transmission make normal noise?
I will try that this weekend once I'm back to the vehicle.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, that would help...If it moves around normally in 4Hi or 4Low, that would seem to rule out the transmission which is what the OP should be hoping for, unless he doesn't mind pulling everything out and going through the trans himself. He also needs to scan the PCM for chassis (Transfer Case) codes. Those will NOT illuminate the check engine light. There's still an outside possibility its the encoder motor assembly mechanism (codes will be stored, if so) or even rear end but slim based on what all has been shared thus far.

If the trans is in D or R, T case in neutral, vehicle will simply be in neutral with no extraneous noises.

These cases (no pun intended) are always tough to diag over the net but hopefully a bit more info can at least pinpoint at a high level where the problem is (assuming it's just one major component that's bad, and not multiple)...beyond that, doesn't really matter...

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea, that would help...If it moves around normally in 4Hi or 4Low, that would seem to rule out the transmission which is what the OP should be hoping for, unless he doesn't mind pulling everything out and going through the trans himself. He also needs to scan the PCM for chassis (Transfer Case) codes. Those will NOT illuminate the check engine light. There's still an outside possibility its the encoder motor assembly mechanism (codes will be stored, if so) or even rear end but slim based on what all has been shared thus far.

If the trans is in D or R, T case in neutral, vehicle will simply be in neutral with no extraneous noises.

These cases (no pun intended) are always tough to diag over the net but hopefully a bit more info can at least pinpoint at a high level where the problem is (assuming it's just one major component that's bad, and not multiple)...beyond that, doesn't really matter...
It shouldn’t move indeed I mean to have him try just to see if he can hear granola noises since damage like this should be making some crunchies