Truck suddenly running rough

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zigsz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alrighty gents... I'm hoping my issue has a simple solution, but here it goes. I was driving my truck last night when it suddenly started it started running kind of weird while sitting at a red light and when I pulled off, it got worse as I pressed the gas to get up to speed. It's at its worst while I'm accelerating or only pressing the gas to maintain speed. I pulled into a parking lot and put the truck in neutral and park to see if it was maybe the transmission, but it still acts the same only not as bad, like it's worse when putting a load on the motor such as accelerating, etc. When I let off the gas while going down the road, the truck still runs weird, but doesn't seem to be as bad. From inside the cab while going down the road, it almost feels like I have somebody sitting behind me trying shake the hell out of my seat and the truck even sounds a little different. I don't know how else to describe what's going on... This is the first time I've ever experienced something like this. Oh... and I checked my driveshafts and all u-joints are solid.

Thanks in advance fella's... Any and all ideas are appreciated.

Truck facts: '93 Chevy K1500, 5.7L 350, 4L60e, NP241C, 10 bolt, 4.88's, 6" ProComp w/ crank & 35's.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
CES light on? Run a code check. Do a thorough visual check front to back.
Have you changed the fuel filter on the inside of the frame rail?
Moisture inside the dist. cap?
How long ago was it last given a tune-up? Spark plug wire burnt on an exhaust manifold?
Maybe a tank o' bad gas, with water in it?
Catastrophic perverter plugged?
Torque converter bolts all there?

zigsz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
CES light on? Nope... no dummy lights have kicked on yet. Run a code check. Do a thorough visual check front to back.
Have you changed the fuel filter on the inside of the frame rail? I haven't changed it since I got the truck a few years ago... I'll check it asap
Moisture inside the dist. cap? Not sure
How long ago was it last given a tune-up? Spark plug wire burnt on an exhaust manifold? I replaced the motor (stock replacement) a year and a half ago and did new plugs/wires then.
Maybe a tank o' bad gas, with water in it? Well, I'm at a half tank now and filled it full the last time I filled up so I wouldn't think that I would just now get problems out of the gas... or would I?
Catastrophic perverter plugged? It shouldn't be... it sounds almost completely hollow when I bang on it.
Torque converter bolts all there? I'll double check this...

Thanks for this check list of stuff man... I'll have to get to most of it tomorrow as I have to go to my fire fighter class tonight in about an hour. I appreciate it though.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Does it seem like the truck is missing?

-Sent from my twin turbo Desire using diesel fuel.-

zigsz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does it seem like the truck is missing?

Yea... it kind of almost sounds like a spark plug has popped out just without being anywhere near as loud but everything seems to look alright when I did a once-over of everything I could think of earlier...

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I just posted up a bunch of stuff off the top of my head. Without hearing or driving the truck, it's pretty hard to nail it down to any one or combo of things.
Other members could have additional knowledge or experience. The list I posted may or may not provide a solution. It's starting point anyhow.
Keep us posted on your findings.

DAGEN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hopefully it's bad gas or possibly the o2 sensor, it doesn't have a bad knock or anything crazy does it. Not to give you the O 'sh**ts but my old truck did this once. Sucked an exhaust valve.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
If the truck is missing then the first thing you need to do is a compression check.

Don't even worry about any of the other things before you do a compression check. This will let you know for sure if its internal or external right away without blowing a bunch of money on new plug wires and crap.

If you don't have a compression checker you can borrow one from advanced auto parts for free.