Truck inspection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
An 'X' or an 'H' pipe smooths out the sound at an idle & it'll help with the low end torque.
These are just numbers I've picked to make an explanation easier.
Say your engine idles at 1000 rpm. That woud be 250 exhaust pulses at that speed. Or 125 a side if running true duals. The cross-over would equalize the sides back to 250.
Yea, big deal, right? But that helps in the scavenging effect that each pulse has on the one after it. The exhuast pulse is a positive, which creates a negative area behind it, & that negative helps to pull the next positive along.
When you seperate the pipes, that negative area behind the positive ends up being too far away from the next positive to create that scavenging effect.
The cross-overs of any style will help to build torque. Or at the least, keep you from losing any. Some styles work better than others. I prefer the 'X'.
On my '70 SS396/375hp Nova, I could feel the dif., seat of the pants, right outa the exhaust shop. Besides, the guys that did the exhaust, well, after all their work, I couldn't disappoint them by just idling out of there, could I? Heh-heh!

I feel the possibility of a disagreement. Where's 'Tempted'? He'll straighten this all out!!! Lol!

rollin smoke

Reaction score
a good true duals always has a crossover pipe of some sort. if you run true duals without a crossover youre a fool or dont like good performing vehicles.

its only kids with straight pipes that have true duals w/o a crossover is gunna be the one to argue you.

GMstrong

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im not trying to disagree with anyone,But until i feel a loss of low end torque a xpipe or hpipe will never go on any of my trucks.It all depends on the size of pipes. i have 2 1/4 true duals with shorty header and high flow cats,Its a 2000 gmc c2500 that weighs 4740 with me in it,last week i had 1000 pounds of scrap in the back of truck didnt have ANY problems going up good sized incline roads.Again not trying to start anything just stating my facts on my truck and my input on true duals.