Truck Doesn’t Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finn

Reaction score
So when i turn the key the gauge stereo all turn on, the starter is new and battery is only about a year old but nothing. At times before i have to wait a good 10-20 minutes before it starts up again. Is there anyway i can fix the problem

rockR67

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could this be one of the pass-key problems that is interrupting fuel / start? I think the '99 I have fell into that issue years back. Others with more experience can probably offer some better insight.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
OP's truck is a 1990 so no Passlock, that didn't start until 1998. But he coulda told us year/etc. in the post so we'd know better. ;)

Finn, does the truck do anything at all when you turn the key? Does the starter try to turn, not try, does it click, clunk, no noise at all?

Richard

Finn

Reaction score
OP's truck is a 1990 so no Passlock, that didn't start until 1998. But he coulda told us year/etc. in the post so we'd know better. ;)

Finn, does the truck do anything at all when you turn the key? Does the starter try to turn, not try, does it click, clunk, no noise at all?

Richard
Hello, sorry about that but it is a 90’ and no nothing at all i just turn the key and it just stays quite

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check for voltage on the purple (fades to pink over time) wire attached to the starter solenoid "S" terminal.

If you have system voltage at the "S" terminal, the starter solenoid is faulty.

If you don't have system voltage at the "S" terminal, the wiring to the terminal is faulty. Trace it back to the bulkhead connector, find out where the voltage disappears. USUALLY it's the final one foot of the wire, but it can be multiple bad connections or corroded wires. The problem could be anywhere from the multi-stud connector on the right side firewall, through the fusebox, the ignition switch, the trans position switch (neutral safety switch) to the interior side of the bulkhead connector.