Truck chirps when turning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would check the rear differential. Maybe the G80 LSD is going bad? I wouldn't think transmission or transfer case would cause this. You are in 2WD, right? I don't think this generation has AWD, does it?

Dd1994

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would check the rear differential. Maybe the G80 LSD is going bad? I wouldn't think transmission or transfer case would cause this. You are in 2WD, right? I don't think this generation has AWD, does it?
It has awd, the switch lights dont light up , and I was playing with tech 2 seeing if it would shift and it does, it just doesnt light up so I cant be certain I was in 2wd, it does have an auto option it's the np8 rpo. I read somewhere sometimes a rotten snap ring can cause this so I ordered one for 2 bucks on rock auto so hopefully that fixes it. Has no issues going forward so that makes me think trans is probably not the issue.

Dd1994

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It has awd, the switch lights dont light up , and I was playing with tech 2 seeing if it would shift and it does, it just doesnt light up so I cant be certain I was in 2wd, it does have an auto option it's the np8 rpo. I read somewhere sometimes a rotten snap ring can cause this so I ordered one for 2 bucks on rock auto so hopefully that fixes it. Has no issues going forward so that makes me think trans is probably not the issue.
Also was definitely in 4wd, front driveshaft doesnt turn freely by hand.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You should raise the vehicle on jackstands (4 wheels) and have a helper put into gear and try to pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

I once hit a patch of ice and spun out and jumped a curb in my 99 NBS Silverado. I happened to take it to m y mechanic for something else and told him I had a squeaking from the rear end. He raised by the differential and quickly pointed out that my rear axle was bent. You could see the wheel wobbling. Literally took him 5 minutes. I had forgotten the incident about jumping the curb...

Dd1994

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Problem is it wont reproduce the problem. Drove it today, the tires screeching problem is really bad in 4 hi and happens less but still a bit in 2 hi. I wonder if the g80 is locking up when I turn, and that's what's causing it. As to the noise in reverse, hard to diagnose it if you cant reproduce it.
You should raise the vehicle on jackstands (4 wheels) and have a helper put into gear and try to pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

I once hit a patch of ice and spun out and jumped a curb in my 99 NBS Silverado. I happened to take it to m y mechanic for something else and told him I had a squeaking from the rear end. He raised by the differential and quickly pointed out that my rear axle was bent. You could see the wheel wobbling. Literally took him 5 minutes. I had forgotten the incident about jumping the curb...

Dd1994

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also the diff is leaking a little so I'm going to pull the cover and refill. I have to fill by the breather cuz the fill plug is rounded out.
Problem is it wont reproduce the problem. Drove it today, the tires screeching problem is really bad in 4 hi and happens less but still a bit in 2 hi. I wonder if the g80 is locking up when I turn, and that's what's causing it. As to the noise in reverse, hard to diagnose it if you cant reproduce it.

Dd1994

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took off the diff cover here's some pics. I dont know much about diffs but it looks normal to me.

You must be registered for see images attach

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, don't see anything broken either. Usually it would be obvious with metal fragments, shavings, missing teeth, etc. if something got damaged...

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can you rotate the wheels to see inside that housing? There's some clutches in there...

Also, how much oil came out?