Truck chirps when turning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dd1994

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2000 denali. I just got it together enough to road test it and I noticed that it makes a squealing or chirping noise when turning. So I checked the steering fluid and it was low so I added some, this definitely reduced the loudness but the sound is still there.

Also sometimes when backing out it sounds like the rear wheels have lost traction but this is on pavement at low speed so I'm not sure what that is either. It has a g80 so it might be related to that.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Hows the alignment? I've noticed that sometimes when backing up, I get a weird feel from the tires.

Dd1994

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hows the alignment? I've noticed that sometimes when backing up, I get a weird feel from the tires.
Needs an alignment, replaced most of the front end recently, with the exception of the lca's

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Needs an alignment, replaced most of the front end recently, with the exception of the lca's

I think that's what's causing the problem when backing. My truck is doing that again, and I've replaced suspension components. I think last time, an alignment made it go away.

Dd1994

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that's what's causing the problem when backing. My truck is doing that again, and I've replaced suspension components. I think last time, an alignment made it go away.
I'll get one this week and see if it goes away. Do you think the chirping is a failing power steering pump? The steering feels light but loose.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Belt slipping? What does the tensioner wear-limit show?

I wouldn't expect a "chirp" from the PS itself, but I could believe a hum or whine.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I'll get one this week and see if it goes away. Do you think the chirping is a failing power steering pump? The steering feels light but loose.

Belt slipping? What does the tensioner wear-limit show?

I wouldn't expect a "chirp" from the PS itself, but I could believe a hum or whine.

I'm with Schurkey on this... chirping isn't a power steering noise outside of the belt slipping.

Dd1994

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with Schurkey on this... chirping isn't a power steering noise outside of the belt slipping.
I think squealing is a better word I guess. It's like the sound you would expect if you took a corner too fast in a fwd car