Trans pan removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Like Schurkey, I can sneak those bolts out without monkeying around with jacking the trans off (so to speak) the cross member.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did the scrap cooler line and vinyl tubing discharging in a 5 gallon bucket per recommendation on this forum. Worked well.

Attachments

• IMG_20211225_142238757.jpg
    IMG_20211225_142238757.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20211225_142250212_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211225_142250212_HDR.jpg
    406.5 KB · Views: 16

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A variation on @Schurkey's Step #1:

- Get a pre-made piece of flared-end tubing at the local jobber (NAPA etc.) of same tubing size as trans line, or make your own

- Make 90deg bend in the line near one end, and then cut remainder to length to reach from UPPER trans cooler fitting on radiator down along radiator to near bottom of radiator

- Add a piece of hose to the end as desired

- Use this tool whenever doing a trans fluid flush on GMT400 or other suitable vehicle (e.g., S10 Blazer)
YES, ABSOLUTELY...if your trans cooler has the double-flare connections. Pre-flared tubing is available at any parts store in America or Canada. Mexico, maybe. Cheap, too.

I gloss-over that part because there's plenty of vehicles that DON'T use the typical double-flare connections. My Trailblazer, for example, has spring-clips and O-ring seals; some proprietary connection style that I can never remember the proper name of. Buy the correct flaring tool, and cut the double-flare off of the purchased tubing, squeeze the correct flare form on to the tubing end, and...what? You don't have the expensive, specialty flaring tool? Now you're kinda screwed. Gotta put the upper tube back in place, and cram the hose on the lower tube.

IF (big IF) you can connect a suitable tube to the upper (cooled fluid going back to the transmission) port, not only does this method flush the transmission, it flushes the cooler, too.

Continue following @Schurkey's instructions with particular attention given to Step #9. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP.
;)

Deliver the old trans fluid to the recycler BEFORE performing Step 9. ESPECIALLY if you perform Step 9 with vigor and enthusiasm.

I like this method because there's no jacking; I just open the hood, disconnect the upper trans line, thread-in this "tool", and stick the hose in a waste oil jug.

With the vehicle on the ground the trans dipstick aka "fill tube" is within easy reach.
Depends on how much clearance you need to drop the pan/replace the filter. K-series, pretty-good chance you get by with this. C-series or passenger car...not so much.

91babyblue

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

- Get a pre-made piece of flared-end tubing at the local jobber (NAPA etc.) of same tubing size as trans line, or make your own

- Make 90deg bend in the line near one end, and then cut remainder to length to reach from UPPER trans cooler fitting on radiator down along radiator to near bottom of radiator

- Use this tool whenever doing a trans fluid flush on GMT400 or other suitable vehicle (e.g., S10 Blazer)

Continue following @Schurkey's instructions with particular attention given to Step #9. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP.

I like this method because there's no jacking; I just open the hood, disconnect the upper trans line, thread-in this "tool", and stick the hose in a waste oil jug.

With the vehicle on the ground the trans dipstick aka "fill tube" is within easy reach.

My $0.02
Not sure of instruction. The previous one the fluid pumps out from bottom. On your technic the fluid pumps from top out of the trans hose right ?

91babyblue

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

My $0.02

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fluid goes INTO the cooler at the bottom, close to the lower radiator hose. If you remove that trans cooler tube, push a hose onto it, trans fluid will spray out the hose and into the drain pan when you start the engine.

Fluid comes OUT of the cooler at the top, so if you pull the upper tube, leave the lower tube connected. You'd have to install a temporary tube in the upper radiator/cooler outlet in order to direct the fluid into a drain pan.

91babyblue

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fluid goes INTO the cooler at the bottom, close to the lower radiator hose. If you remove that trans cooler tube, push a hose onto it, trans fluid will spray out the hose and into the drain pan when you start the engine.

Fluid comes OUT of the cooler at the top, so if you pull the upper tube, leave the lower tube connected. You'd have to install a temporary tube in the upper radiator/cooler outlet in order to direct the fluid into a drain pan.